Mazuri Rat & Mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Incubator Cricket Killer

Question Mazuri Rat & Mouse

This kind of goes with my other Mazuri thread, but I wanted to make sure all the rat people saw it (do we have any other rat people?). I picked up some Mazuri Rat n Mouse blocks when I was buying my chin food...does anyone else use those? I gave one to each of the rats and they took it like a treat so I mixed some in with thier food, the next day the food dish was empty but I found a stash of all the blocks in the corner... What should I make of this? Where they hiding it for later because they liked it, or just getting it out of thier bowl because they didn't like it?

I really want to change thier food b/c I don't think what they've been eating is too great (I can't remember the name....maybe kaytee? something supreme in a clear plastic bag...). What do you feed your rats? Just a note, my rats are getting close to 3, should I even mess with thier diet now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Newborn Pup

My rat is getting fed Regular Quaker Oats, a whole wheat pasta, and cherrios and she loves it! It has given her soo much more energy at the old age of 4! It also costs less per week for other foods.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Newborn Pup

I don't use Mazuri Lab Blocks but i do use Kaytee Forti-Diet lab blocks for my rats. My rats do the same thing, I looked at their bowl and all the lab blocks were gone, and about 15 were stashed in the corner! They're most likely saving them for later. I use Reggie Rat mix and Kaytee Forti-Diet lab blocks in a separate bowl. I experiment with different foods now and then, to see which ones are better and which ones the rats seem to like best. If you think you've found a healthier diet for them, then give it a try!

I Love My Rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I use Mazuri 6F myself (comes in 50 lb bags) but the Mazuri Rat and Mouse is actually the formulation called 5E09...

its 23% protein which is high, but only 6.5% fat. The ingredients are good and balanced for your rat. If you are concerned about the high protein (as low protein, low fat, and low sugar diets are best) then you just feed more veggies to bring the protein total down.

I and my rats prefer Harlan Teklad but we have trouble getting it here in Canada. But its available online as Native Earth (Harlan Teklad 2018) or different varieties sold by the lb by rescues

I free-feed my rats their lab blocks and supplement with veggies, a little fruit and occasional protein. I also have started making up and freezing pureed healthy veggies that I thaw and mix into oatmeal for the ratkids

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Part of the Pack

:C While if you saw the other thread, Mazuri aint so great for those rats sensitive to food changes. Like those with immunity and digestive issues.
Even though I was using veggies, it was still too high. Dry skin is a sign of too much protein.

Also, I was confounded the first week I had it. The bowl contents disappeared suddenly! I filled the bowl up three days in a row and each morning it was empty. I went searching the cage and found three bowls of food. XD

Native Earth has close percentages to Oxbow Regal Rat. Which I have issues getting but...my vet says its great.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-10-2009 at 12:07 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
:C While if you saw the other thread, Mazuri aint so great for those rats sensitive to food changes. Like those with immunity and digestive issues.
Even though I was using veggies, it was still too high. Dry skin is a sign of too much protein.

Also, I was confounded the first week I had it. The bowl contents disappeared suddenly! I filled the bowl up three days in a row and each morning it was empty. I went searching the cage and found three bowls of food. XD

Native Earth has close percentages to Oxbow Regal Rat. Which I have issues getting but...my vet says its great.
Dry skin has nothing to do with protein. And Native Earth is Harlan 2018 repackaged for the pet market. Same formulation. I don't recommend Oxbow any more since it can be hard to find, pricey and also some rats end up despising it, enough to stop eating and losing seriously dangerous weight. If your rat will eat Oxbow thats fantastic, its the best food out there, but a lot won't or don't like it much.

Stashing is a normal and happy rat activity. Blocks are ideal for it. You just have to figure out where their main stashing spot is, and check there before refilling that bowl. LOL

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I feed Oxbow. I have not had problems with it yet. I tried Mazuri for a while because it is cheaper and more available, but I noticed the cage was much smellier while they were eating it and their poops were these hard little rock looking things. I like Oxbow and my rats have all been plump and healthy while eating it.

When trying any new food your pets should be monitored closely.

Maureen

Six new rats