Mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi, im picking up 3 African pygmy mice today, and i was wondering about their cage.

I have an old fish tank, with secure lid, and a place for their home.
I have read that they come from the sahara desert, and i have aquarium sand which i was going to use for the bottom of the cage.

Would this be safe, and ok?

Im also going to provide paper bedding and hay if they need it.

Any views on this? eg is this ok, not ok?

Thanks

Any help gratefully received.

Pixie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

im sorry ive never had mice, so i have no idea. but i want pix when you get them!! (i do know that fish tanks arent the best for air flow... expecially if your lid is kinda tight too with little airflow also... )

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?

also knows as african spiny mice i believe? i've had spiny mice, they love to scurry and chew. and they're smarter than the average mouse, they can take to you like a degu. very social little critters. the sand bedding should be okay, just watch them to see if they bother to eat it. give them hollow logs or big branches for them to run on. they're not monkey-like the way rats and fancy mice are. their depth perception isn't great because they're desert dwellers, so they could walk off the side of a table not understanding how far to the ground it actually is. they need extra protein and NO seeds, seeds make them suuuper fat. you can give them mealworms or scrambled aggs, chicken. sunflower seeds, peas and corn are great treats for training and bonding. their tail WILL coem off if you pick them up by it, so DONT.

OH! and i had them in my 35 gal tank with lid, they were fine. make sure they have a good indestructible wheel because they love running but chew with intent to destroy

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, neat. I love those guys but I think they are illegal here. Or just really hard to find .

I would love to see pictures when you get them! Though I don't have any advice, sorry.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

mulder, i wish i had read this post before i transfered them to their cage.

I picked up 3 ickle ones, got them home, transfered one successfully to its home

then, i tried to move the other two at the same time, on top of my desk, and well the thing u were saying about not realising that an edge was there, well one of them fell off and ive spent the last 2 hours trying to catch it with no prevail

its still in my room, i saw it, i just hope ill get it back.

thanks guys
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh my gosh! Pygmy mice! I have wanted them forever,but you cannot get them here! They are soooo tiny! I have no advie,as I know nothing about their care...I am only used to fancy mice.When you get them post some pictures!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys good news, over my persistance of 3 and a half hours last night, i managed to lure the mouse that got away into its box i got it in (smells of its home/bed) and scooped it up back into its new cage

lol, i now have 3 again lol

Thanks guys, ill get some pics later today ok!

Pixie
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
RAT ADDICT

I cannot wait to see them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
fancy mice, fish tank, spiny mice, sunflower seeds