Mice... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Betta Bomb

Yes I agree. Selling mice to people who want feeders willl work. Or if you sold them for experimentation. I remember some kids interested in buying mice off me in junior high so they could torture them, set fire to them or something. They had no shame in telling me what they wanted to do. You have to be careful bc not a lot of people are interested in mice as pets. They're too easy to come by. People want hamsters and rats. Mice are feeders, bottom of the food chain- nothing to a lot of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Zoo Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Yes I agree. Selling mice to people who want feeders willl work. Or if you sold them for experimentation. I remember some kids interested in buying mice off me in junior high so they could torture them, set fire to them or something. They had no shame in telling me what they wanted to do. You have to be careful bc not a lot of people are interested in mice as pets. They're too easy to come by. People want hamsters and rats. Mice are feeders, bottom of the food chain- nothing to a lot of people.
And thats a horrible fact many people also mistreat and improperly care for rats. Hamsters are probably the worst though People get them and stick several in a cage too small for one.

I dont understand people that just destroy animals both mentally and physically

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 04-26-2011 at 01:16 PM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Betta Bomb

I know. I emailed someone today off kijiji who was looking for a couple hamsters for 1 cage. So many people see baby syrians in one cage in the store ad think they'll grow up getting along. This ad was asking for a couple females from the same litter. -_- Talk about informing yourself. There's no excuse in the age of internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Zoo Keeper

actually dwarfs you can females from the same litter work if you have two of everything

Proud Mommy to-

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Betta Bomb

I know dwarves can be housed together but she was looking for syrians. Dwarf hamsters ust are not as popular here as "cute widdle teddy bear" hammies are. Those and panda, and black bear hamsters are what people buy.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Zoo Keeper

LMAO there is no such thing as a panda or black bear hamster they are all syrian lol

Proud Mommy to-

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
And thats a horrible fact many people also mistreat and improperly care for rats. Hamsters are probably the worst though People get them and stick several in a cage too small for one.

I dont understand people that just destroy animals both mentally and physically
I dunno...rats are worse off here then hamsters. Rats are seen as scary,diseased,carriers of "plague" and monsters. People will be in pet stores "oohing" and "awwing" over hamsters and in the same breath talking about how disgusting the rats are in the cage next to the hamster. Everyone wants cute little hamsters here,even though rats are better pets for most people. Rats have a HORRIBLE rep.

Quote:
LMAO there is no such thing as a panda or black bear hamster they are all syrian lol
Yes,people like you and me know this...but pet stores sell hamsters with "cutesy" names like "panda bear","teddy bear" and "black bear" to make a buck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Zoo Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
I dunno...rats are worse off here then hamsters. Rats are seen as scary,diseased,carriers of "plague" and monsters. People will be in pet stores "oohing" and "awwing" over hamsters and in the same breath talking about how disgusting the rats are in the cage next to the hamster. Everyone wants cute little hamsters here,even though rats are better pets for most people. Rats have a HORRIBLE rep.

Yes,people like you and me know this...but pet stores sell hamsters with "cutesy" names like "panda bear","teddy bear" and "black bear" to make a buck.
thats a good thing since rats are seen as horrible only devoted owners or people who want to feed them get them. Hamsters are gotten by SO many people and put in tiny little cages including syrians which kill each other.

And yeah its horrible that pet stores are how they are

Proud Mommy to-

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

It is actually not a good thing...some people buy rats to look "cool" or believe it or not A LOT of people assume rats need the same care as hamsters and often get rats and stick them in a tiny hamster cage. I have two foster rats now that were stuck in a teeny cage with 8 other rats. I spend my days promoting rats as the GOOD pets they are...clean,intelligent,affectionate,friendly,trai nable and very in tune to their owners,some really develop deep bonds with their people. They are just very misunderstood.

I know though,hams don't get the greatest care all the time either. But they are more "welcome" then rats. But what it comes down to...rats,mice,hamsters and even gerbils are often bought by dumb,ignorant people or people who think they can just be thrown in a cage and fed/watered. People put more credit into the mainstream pets such as cats and dogs.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Zoo Keeper

thats horrible even a hamster shouldnt be in a commercial rat cage. Rats are amazing pets. I had to do hamsters because of allergies. I dont understand people.

Proud Mommy to-

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
thats horrible even a hamster shouldnt be in a commercial rat cage. Rats are amazing pets. I had to do hamsters because of allergies. I dont understand people.
Most commercial rat cages are not even that great. Some are. But generally pet stores sell crap products a lot of the time.

I don't understand people either...

* Lisa *

Tags
craigstlist, mice, mouse