Mice Are Everywhere - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Mice Are Everywhere

ok mice are everywhere no their not crawling around my house i bought 2 female mice not knowing they were PREGNANT! so 2 nights ago my black mouse (cocoa) had 6-10 babies. and just around today at 12 PM had about 6 babies but 2 died but i cant find the second one that died .they were right next to each other and when i took the other one out i couldnt find the other.but i seperated the 2 mice because i heard they could eat each others babies i dont know how true that is. ive only had the mice for a week and a half now.now i need to know the ideal temp for baby mice.so now cocoa is in a 10 gallon aquiariam tank and oreo is in a 12X12X20 bird cage with 4 babies im pretty sure. ill be getting another 10 gallon cage but how will i move the babies from cage to cage and what age do i start to seperate the males and females.i was thinking about puting the males from both litters in the other cage than the one cocoa is in.then put oreo back in with cocoa along with all the girls from both litters. will they fight? thank you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
laugh often

ok firstly they need to be left alone or the chances of them eating their young will be higher. If they trust you I'd say you can take a quick peek without the momma mouse in the cage at 3-5 days. After 6 days clean the cage. The momma mouse will keep the nest warm. Just be sure to put lots of beeding and nesting material in there. For nesting material I usually use toilet paper or paper towels.But swince you asked the temp of the nest is usually around 75-80 degrees farenheight but since the mom is taking care of them I'd just let her do her job they are generally great mommy's. Give the momma mice a milkbone (the brand name) every day until the mice are weaned. or you can give her kitten food. But remember too much of a good thing can be bad. If it's a first time pregnancy then the chances of them eating the litter is higher. -just a warning. They'll need to be sexed and weaned around 21-28 days. I typically wean at 25-26 days and keep an eye on them for a week to make sure everyone is eating. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.
oh yeah if you can give them dried veggies and fruits (in very small amounts) it'll be great too. Hope all works out well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
laugh often

also I wouldn't use a wire cage for babies as they can squeeze out, also you need to use a water bottle to prevent them from drowning once they become active. If you can't find the other babies then the momma consumed them. In the wild they do this to help the stronger babies to survive or if the litter is sick they'll consume them. It's like momma knows best. They are generally great mothers. When males mature they often fight to the death. This usually happens around 4-6 weeks of age. Femalkes on the other hand are very friendly. And can mingle with other mice I'd just make sure their not fighting and keep a constant eye on them for the first few days. Always introduce them on netural territory. If I forgot anything please let me know.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 02-24-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

thank you

Tags
baby mice, bird cage, female mice, kitten food, male mice, nesting material, wire cage