Mice fighting- blood shed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Mice fighting- blood shed

I have 2 pet male mice, and yes I know males tend to fight more often then females, but I'm not sure how to control their fighting? A few times they've shed blood and have become not-so-healthy? due to this. The main problem is the wheel, so I've tooken that out a few times, but they still fight. It's kinda starting to really worry me- I've even seperated them (I have a 2 level cage), but they do try to get to the others half. If anybody has any tips or suggestions..? that'd be great, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:12 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Male mice are very territorial and almost always fight like you are experiencing. Because you have seen blood more than once, they need to be separated in different cages. You might think they will be lonely, but if they liked their friend then they wouldn't fight with them. If you leave them together they could kill each other. Male mice shouldn't be kept together.

Just make sure that they both have a wheel in their cage because mice are very addicted to their wheels and it helps to keep their weight under control. You could even easily make them each a hammock out of an old wash cloth or towel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:44 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I take it you got them as baby boys and they got along just fine? Then they started to grow up. Well boys will fight and even kill each other so there's no controlling anything. The norm is single boys, and the rarity is when boys can live together. Looks like you are going to have to get a whole new setup for Bachelor #2.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 AM
the rodent lover<3

I had to seperate my 2 males too, so you're not alone. But blood was never drawn. Mine were fighting the night we got them. Males will do just fine alone, they just need more loves .

They need to be seperated. Because they'll fight to the death.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

Seeing as they fought more then once with bloodshed,they will need to be seperated.Male mice can and often will fight to the death.Males are highly territorial and RARELY can live in harmony.Don't worry,they will be fine on their own.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
fighting, mice, mouse