mice/mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wink mice/mouse

hey all so my birthdays coming up next month , and hubby suprised me and said he would consider instead of a beta fish a small animal something that doesn't take alot of space as we wont have alot of space in the house . it would stay in our room. I cant have rats because im deathly allergic and they need a big cage, but im not allergic to mice, i remember this from when i had some before,thats where my username came from Nibbler she was my very first mouse, i know at that time i probably didnt do what was best for her, because i hardly knew anything about mice at the time. But before i make this commitment again, I was wondering if the mousey lovers on here could give me more info on them. Im looking also for an idea for a cage for the mouse/mice. I need something secure since there will be cats in the house but it cant take alot of space because it would be on my dresser. Any ideas Thanks for the info and helping me with my research in advance

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My orphaned Deer Mouse LOVED the Habitrail Ovo. He got so depressed in his 10 gal. tank, but when I switched him to the Habitrail Ovo, and after he got used to the tunnels, he was the happiest I'd ever seen him. So that's my vote,
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i dont plan to get the mouse/ mice right away this will only be in a couple months after we move but i do want to research them more incase we decide to get some i like the ovo cage, are they good for air thou?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd say so. That seems to be one of the problems the company fixed with their new designs - increased air flow - because their older models sure as heck didn't appear to have enough of it. There's air holes in all the major compartments of the Ovo; the base, the den, the little transporter unit.. I only put bedding in the transporter unit and the den, I left the base completely bare.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am going to be the opposite. I hated the Ovo cage. It was fun for a mouse or two,but it was insanely hard to get together and hard to clean. Some of the tubes didn't come apart and I could never clean them properly. I ended up getting fed up and throwing the cage away.

I use 29 & 33 gallon tanks for my mice. Lots of room,high sides so they cannot jump/climb out and they are well ventilated. I find tanks the easiest for mice. Just make sure you add toys,tubes and wheels and things for them.

If you only want one mouse,you can get a male. They do better alone normally,as they usually fight to the death. Females do best in pairs or little groups. Oh but be warned,male mice smell pretty funky.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's bizarre.. how recent was this? Maybe you had a defective model? Our Ovo tubes just fall right apart for easy cleaning without the connector rings. We haven't had any issues getting anything to disconnect for easy cleaning. Base's top comes completely off to easily clean the base, top of the den and top of the transporter unit come completely off to clean those.. and the tubes, without being secured together with the connector rings, fall right in half for easy cleaning.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Are you limited height wise? I have a friend who got a ten gallon... or was it a 15... and got a topper for it which made the cage a little taller and gave more room without being wider. She does have 3-4 mice though. How many are you thinking of getting??

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
That's bizarre.. how recent was this? Maybe you had a defective model? Our Ovo tubes just fall right apart for easy cleaning without the connector rings. We haven't had any issues getting anything to disconnect for easy cleaning. Base's top comes completely off to easily clean the base, top of the den and top of the transporter unit come completely off to clean those.. and the tubes, without being secured together with the connector rings, fall right in half for easy cleaning.
This was about two years ago in 2008.
I hated that cage. I dunno,maybe I did have a defective cage? Either way it did not come apart or go back together easy at all. It was a pain in the butt in my opinion.

That is the one I had.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Looks like mine - but I bought the box set for Dwarf Hamsters/Mice. All the colored parts are entirely green.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uMgaziRatRescue View Post
Are you limited height wise? I have a friend who got a ten gallon... or was it a 15... and got a topper for it which made the cage a little taller and gave more room without being wider. She does have 3-4 mice though. How many are you thinking of getting??
hey no im not really limited height wise but more width wise, im not sure i dont think id get more then 2 if i got females, and if not then 1 male, i havent fully decided yet, im having a hard time deciding between mice and other small rodents

By Anonymous
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

My natal and her mouse friends are in a wire cage and love it.

I have also kept them in a Martin's R-660

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 03-25-2011 at 07:01 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

oh i love the look of the marins r 660 but we have decided not to get mice, as id be worreid theyd exscape and our mighty hunters would get them, hubby is trying really hard to convince me for a tree frog right now lol

By Anonymous

Tags
mice/mouse