Mochi update... advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Mochi update... advice?

I posted earlier this week about how one of our rats--Mochi--was wheezing.

I took him to the vet this morning. Our vet listened and heard crackling in his chest which, of course, suggests either bronchitis or pneumonia. However, because he had that large tumor removed 6 months ago and we found out he had cancer, she wanted to do a chest xray.

The xrays showed some very, very small grey marks, and she thinks that his cancer has spread. I should add that his lungs looked mostly clear and the marks were so small she couldn't really make them out. She seems amazed that he's lived this long, but says he'll probably go down hill quickly with lung cancer. Though, she said that it "wasn't as bad as she thought."

The wheezing seems to be from the fluid in his lungs. He's going to be on Baytril for two weeks, and I hope it makes him more comfortable.

Since he's still moving around a good bit, eating a lot (he actually GAINED weight since his tumor surgery) and seems to be in pretty good spirits, we're just going to watch him and cross our fingers. He's already beat the odds once, I'd like to see him do it again.

I don't want him to suffer one bit, but I don't want to rob him of the chance to live a little longer either. Any others been through this? What can we expect?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I have not been through the experience of one of my rats having lung cancer or a tumor but both of my boys did contract myco (respiratory disease) and you are right...you definitely do not want Mochi to suffer one bit but you also want to give him as happy a life as you can give him. When my boys started suffering and it and our vets and hospital surgeons told us they were not having any fun and it was going to be just more uncomfortable visits to the hospital, my husband and I had to make the very hard decision of putting our boys to sleep (one was put to sleep and then 10 days later our other boy, who had finally started to go downhill very fast from the myco) and what decided us was that if we kept them alive to make US happy but not them, it would be so unfair to them. They were no longer enjoying a good quality of life and their lungs were failing. But, that does not mean you have the same situation with Mochi, by any means. If Mochi is still eating, playing and enjoying life and not suffering, then that is terrific. The best you can do is to make Mochi's life as comfy and happy as possible. If the day comes where he starts to physically suffer with no end in sight, then you will know what to do. But I am glad he seems to be doing pretty good for now. Give him my love.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Could be pulmonary abscesses in the lungs...where was the tumour removed?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

The tumor was on his belly/back thigh.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliewasmyeve View Post
The tumor was on his belly/back thigh.
Very unlikely that the 2 tumors are connected then, you just have a rat that has tumor issues. With boys, some do, most don't.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack