Mom saw my mice today! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Mom saw my mice today!

A little background story:

I'm the only rodent lover in my family. I've been training my nieces over the years so they like them too, but no one else in my family. In fact, my sister is insanely afraid of mice and rodents in general. Well.. I had my hamsters and gerbils, but I wanted to have mice too. I thought.. they are fairly small and with the huge quantity of cages I already have, they won't notice a new one with the mice. Well, my other sister (the one that doesn't lives in my house, so doesn't care much of what I bring in) took me to the pet store and I bought 3 little girls. I sneaked them into my room and no one in my family, besides the sister that took me to the pet store and my nieces, knows about them. 2 of them died since that time (at the end of this summer), only Cheddar is left. While here, I went a couple of times to the pet store and got a couple more of mice (you know about them...).
I've been keeping them in a plastic bin, on a high shelf in a far corner of the room, where my parents don't go when they come in here (this is at my apartment near college). I finish finals this week (yay! so early this year!) and I've been taking the gang home over the last 2 weekends. Only ones left here are Cleo (cause nobody wants to feed her home) and the mice (cause I prefer to have them with me all the time, just in case). I had to take the plastic tub last week home, so I changed them to the only cage that stays here (empty), the 30g tank. That tank is right in the middle of the room in front of my bed in plain view.
We arrived today and all the mice were out and about. Mom sat on the bed and looked at them. After looking at them for a while she told me "I hadn't seen those before". I told her "those were the ones that were in the cage up there". She then tells me "those 2 spotted ones are really pretty, the other spotted ones that you have are not like them". I answered "nope" and she tells me "I like them, they are really really pretty". Then she stays quiet and keeps staring at them. After a while of looking at them she says "They haven't grown much, the others are much bigger... and these have been there the whole semester" Again I answered "no, they haven't". Well.. she kept staring at them some more but didn't said anything else.
LOL.. she thought they were gerbils! I didn't mentioned that they were really mice cause that would have freaked her out... LOL That small fact would have explained why they were smaller than the others and have a different spotting. LOL That shows how much my parents know about animals. My dad saw them too, but didn't commented anything about them. He never says anything about my pets..

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Great that she likes them, even if she thinks they are gerbils! Later on you can tell her they are mice, and she won't be able to say she doesn't like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

omg that's hilarious that she thinks they are gerbils!!! I guess it won't be a problem when you take them home for the holidays then!!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Sounds like my mom...when I e-mailed her a pic of my first chinchilla, she said "that's a funny looking rabbit"
She thought it was a rabbit and Chinchilla was it's name!
Ignorance can be bliss

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Mandie!!! My aunty didn't even know that rabbits could be toilet trained!! she thought it was disgusting that I was going to have rabbits inside...until my mum told her they already lived inside and were toilet trained!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Carmen!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

LOL, Yeah, I'm glad she didn't figured out that they were mice. She has always had this obsession with keeping doors closed cause mice could get in. Then, when she thought there was a mouse inside, it was traps everywhere (normal mouse traps 8( *sigh*). and my sister almost completely blocking the door to our room so the mouse couldn't get in the room. They tolerate my hamsters and gerbils cause they are not exactly mice, but pet rodents.. but I don't think they'll like much the mice.. If they knew now that they have 4 resident mice inside!

Dimaris

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I wish I could convince my mom that my chinchillas were something other than rodents. Every time she comes to my house and I mention my chins she says "They're still rodents". Ugh. You're lucky your mom doesn't realize they're mice!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

lol my mom wouldn't believe that history! she know all my animals and what kinda are them! like gerbils,mices,rats,etc...

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 AM
I Own an Egg Pooper

At first, my mom thought me having mice was gross, and then she actually saw my first one (Monty) and she just couldn't stop holding him, feeding him, KISSING HIM! haha. so now she is as addicted as me! Everytime I go home, she is like "Where are my little grandchildren!"

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well you could always tell her they are drawf gerbils!!!

I've been pretty lucky with pets as my parents liked them all especially the rats as my dad was there before me in a morning feeding them cornflakes and was upset if they wasn't waiting it was my grandma who used to freak out as she hated them all as they were rodents and nearly had a heart attack if i kissed the rats

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Hehehehe... Well my mom doesn't pet any of my animals. The only animal that I've seen her touch is Odie, my dog. She very rarely touches Charlotte, my other dog... that's cause she can't control her tongue and mom doesn't like that they lick her. Odie is more controled and can recieve a petting without licking her. My dad always helped me dealt with the animals when I was younger. When I had chickens, geese, ducks, and turkeys, he was the one that helped me catching them and held them while I trimmed their wings. Plus he went to the backyard to feed them with me. When I had rabbits,that were in the backyard too, he helped me with them also. My sister (the one that lives in my house) loves Odie to pieces, but just dislikes the rodents. Out of all the rodents I've had, the only one she liked was Frank, my last syrian, but he was Mr. Personality, such a cute hammy. My other sister dislikes all the animals, is afraid of dogs (yes, she's the owner of Valentina, and is afraid of dogs) The only animal I've seen her hold was a rabbit I gave my nieces when my rabbit gave birth. My nieces love all my animals, they haven't held the mice though.. one of them told me she doesn't like them, but when I bring her home she'll hold them to see (I told her that if she held them, it would change her mind). The other one doesn't wants anything to do with the mice... but I'm sure I can make her hold one when I get home with them.. haha

Dimaris

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My mom's like that too, only she doesn't like dogs, cats, ferrets, or any of those animals. When I had a mouse, she never pet it except once. She loves Charlie though.
The day your mom realizes your mice are mice, that'll be great! Good luck!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I'm so thankful my family loves the chinchillas. They never once hesitated when I brought Zesty to their house to live, as well as Sneakers. In fact, they wanted to keep them both!

I'm very glad that Dan loves them, too.

Karen

[

Tags
pet store