Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Mookies looks, um, lonely?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rodentz 
#1 ·
Well, he came yesterday. He used to live with his male littermates. He's 7 weeks old. He's here with me now. Currently he's awake, in his cage, cleaning himself. But sometimes i look in and he's just sitting or laying there, looking out into space it seems. Is he depressed or lonely? I'm not allowed to have another rat, not Not NOT. My boyfriend has drawn the line, and frankly if we want to move out of his dad's house and into our own place, we need things that don't take up space. Even if they'd still be in the same cage (it's big), grumble grumble lol. Anyways. Is Mookie bummed out? or just settling in? tomorrow (it's late here right now) i'm making him a stuffed sock rat friend. I can't find any suitable sized stuffed things here. There aren't many anyways because of my allergies (to everything). Will this effort help? it's a black fleece ski sock. i'll make ears and a nose on it. i'll figure out feet tomorrow. he's dark grey/faded black so maybe he'll relate to it? i keep him on my shoulder or in my sleeve a lot during the day, but eventually i get pood or peed on, so i try to keep it under 30 mins. but he just curls up and time flies, today it was an hour before i said okay, back in cage. but really, i have not much else to do but spend time with him (and the others of course). Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Really he needs a friend. He can have you or a fake friend but it won't make up for there not being a live rat. You can't groom him and snuggle with him inside his cage. I'm sure he'll be okay for the time being but you should really see about getting him a friend. When you get rats, it's very important to have atleast 2.

#3 ·
i agree, he needs another rat for companionship, mental health and stability

#4 ·
when one of my rats got sick and had to live in a box for 2 days away from our other rat she got really lonely and depressed i felt horrible for her i couldnt imagine her with out a friend they learn alot from each other how to get places and grooming and everything, give your boyfriend a pouty look until he says ok

#6 ·
*sigh* But I really can't. My bf all ready won't touch mookie. He won't even kiss me if mookie's in my hood lol. What a wuss, i just laugh and go do something. If I talk about how important it is, he might give. He really loves me, and he calls me "a heavy" which I guess means I can pout or something. Geek I say! We'll see what I can do. Mookie spends 2 hours with me in the morning and in the evening. Since he's been here (a week) he's become more outgoing everyday. But because he has no one to play with, he doesn't get up and do things, you know? Just staying in his hammock. Mind you, he's only 8 weeks old, he fits in my one hand. I've never had a rat before so I know nothing, gah!

#7 ·
Who cares if your b/f don't like them, I have 4 cats which my b/f cannot stand most times, plus 7 rats (males) a bunny (which if both of ours), a turtle and fish...he don't mind rats at all, but he looses his temper b/c cats like to get into his things. If you want it, get it, he won't leave you for something that you want and take care of :) Who knows he may end up getting attached after a while. Never know...just get one :giggle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.