more rat problems - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

more rat problems

Okay...I was really feeling sorry for Maude because she's lonely, so I went out and bought another rat to put with her. The rat I got is really cute, she's blackish brown with a white belly and white stockings. I named her Norma Jean. Anyways, I was holding her and petting her when I got home, when I noticed something weird in her fur. She had some little red things and white things in her fur. I looked it up, and yep, she has mites. Luckily I hadn't put her in the cage with Maude when I noticed it. I read on the net that they are highly contageous and hard to get rid of. So sadley, I will be returning her to the pet store tomorrow. Believe me, they will get an earfull about cleanliness. I am really upset that I have to take her back. I took all possible precautions to prevent my other pets from getting them, but I guess if they do, I'll have to make a trip to the vets. Please pray that they don't. Well, I am sooo sad that I have to take her back. She's just precious. I've decided the next rat I get will definitely come from a breeder and not from the feeder bin at the pet store, even though I feel really sorry for those rats. Anyways, I found a couple of breeders who I can get another rattie from. I think I'm going to get a dumbo. I wish I could keep Norma Jean, but I really don't think I can deal with the possibility of all my other pets getting mites.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Aww, that's awful!

Yes, mites are very very dangerous. I know of a case of a lady that got some new gerbils from a breeder (yes, a breeder) and they came infested with mites. Her other pets became infested, so she had hamsters, gerbils and I don't know what other pets with the mites, and she lost half her stock or more (she was a breeder too). Many died cause of the mites, others she gave away to a more experienced person to deal with them and others she treated herself successfully. Be really careful with her! And check rats you get from a breeder too before introducing them to Maude. Good luck next time.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

how do mites "kill" a pet? i never thought mites were such a terrible thing. when my rats had mites i used kitten flea and lice shampoo and it worked great. i just bathed them in it, let them sit with lathered shampoo for about 5 min. and washed it out really good, and rinsed it real good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, I just can't deal with an infestation right now. And, I imagine that they are alot like fleas, if you get enough of them on an animal, the animal will die from anemia. I took her back and the pet store tried to tell me it was my fault basically. They were like, we checked all of our mice and rats and other animals and none of them have mites, so I don't know where the mites on that rat came from. I told them to look again and treat them all. I also asked what would happen to Norma Jean, and they said they would treat her and put her back out for sale. Actually I asked if they were going to take her in the back and kill her. Ya never know. Some people might do that. I showed them what mites look like on Norma Jean, and they were like oooooh. So maybe they didn't know what they look like. Anyways, now I gotta wait to hear back from someone about another rat. Wish me luck. Maude really needs a friend. She is so hyper. She needs someone to play with.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm sorry about that. I hope you get a new, healthy rat soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesmepets
And, I imagine that they are alot like fleas, if you get enough of them on an animal, the animal will die from anemia.
Yup... and since they were gerbils and hamsters, which are smaller than rats, they are at a higher risk. Any illness can kill such small animals very fast.

Dimaris

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:20 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I had a mouse with mites a while ago, and I had to wash him with small animal shampoo. It didn't seem like such a big deal, but it actually did take a couple of washings, and it was a total pain! It is very hard to successfully bathe a rodent! hahaha... But he lived by himself at the time, so I can understand your dilemma. I think it was good that you took her back, not just for the sake of your other mice, but it gave you a chance to show the pet store that they will lose money and their rats will lose out on a good home if they don't take better care of their stock!!!

Good luck in the breeder hunt!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

This really breaks my heart! I thought you were getting rats from the breeder I told you about? I can't believe you wopuld do that to that poor girl. She will most likely suffer terribly and die in that store, and all the other rats I suppose will meet the same fate. Poor girl I will be praying for her. A simple vet visit and mite treatment would have done the job just fine! Not to mention if she was near your rat at all or if you handled her and then your rat, than your rat most likely is already infected. Hate to see what will happen to her. I think it is time to bump my post on quarantine!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I don't think anyone should judge someone else's decision very harshly as we all LOVE our animals and have our reasons for making certain decisions...
So I just want to offer condolenses. And good luck to the girl!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

mites aren't exactly hard to get rid of...

buy some ivermectin. yes, the horse dewormer stuff. Petsmart here sells it, sometimes you can find it at agway. now squirt it all out, mix it up, and suck it back into that big tube thingy. now give each rat a dose the size of an UNCOOKED GRAIN OF RICE! each rat will need a dose of this once a week for three weeks. yes, it works. yes, many rat people use it. shampoo doesn't usually work very well, and flea dips/drops can be dangerous. just be sure to use no more than the size of an uncooked grain of rice when dosing an adult rat (younger need even less).

also be sure to clean everything, toys, cages, hammocks, everything.. doing rescue and working with rats from less than ideal conditions, I run into mites and lice a lot... but after 1-2 weeks it's gone with this treatment. the third dose is usually for the rest of the eggs left over hatching...

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TareG
I don't think anyone should judge someone else's decision very harshly as we all LOVE our animals and have our reasons for making certain decisions...
So I just want to offer condolenses. And good luck to the girl!
I agree. Sometimes people can't do everything the way you would do things yourself. She did what she thought was right.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

SugarLove...I did get two rats from the lady in Alabama after I had taken the other rat back to the pet store and made sure Maude, or my degus didn't get any mites. I was very very sad about having to take her back, but I thought it was the best thing for everyone. The pet store assured me that they would treat her for her mites and put her back out for sale. I trust them. I know alot of the people who work there. I know mites are treatable. I read all about the treatments, but I didn't want Maude and my degus getting infested, too. And again, I decided to take her back after alot of thought. Maude has two friends now. I posted pics of them in a thread in the rat section.

Clyde Edgerton
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm glad you got your new ratties and i am glad things are working out. But I will NEVER agree with tsking a rat back to a pet store!

Tags
pet store, vet visit, white belly