Mouse baby died what now? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

IMPORTANT! Mouse baby died what now?

'I`ve had a pet mouse for about half a year and i decided to add another mouse a few days ago and this mouse happened to be pregnant. She had her babies last night while i was asleep so i dont know how many babies she had total. Today when i got home i lifted up the roof to count the babies and i counted 5. After a while when i looked at the cage from farther away and say a little pinky when i looked closer i saw it was one ow the babies. i wasnt sure if it was alive so i waited until the mom saw it. she did and started eating it. She didnt eat all of it yet and i dont know what to do now nor do i know if it is one of the five i counted or one that died earlier (when it was born). I dont want to keep peeking in the nest because then the mom wont take care of her babies anymore. should i take out the dead one or leave it for the mom to eat as that is what they do in nature. And i dont know how it died. Could it be that the mouse that ive had longer killed it? when i counted them earlier both of them were sitting in the nest on the babies though so i thought they get along. What should i do now?'.

Last edited by PatyGnail; 01-03-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'd say leave it. She had a reason for doing it - whether it be stress or she sensed the baby was ill and wasn't going to survive anyway. Mamas will kill babies that they sense aren't going to live long; so the baby isn't consuming her precious, and sometimes limited, milk. House Mice(which pet mice are the domesticated forms of) are communal nesters. It doesn't seem likely that the other would go after the babies, especially if she isn't acting like it.

Tags
baby, dead, mouse