Mouse cage Mystery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Mouse cage Mystery

Ok I was going to convert a bird cage into a mouse cage but decided to build the whole thing from scratch. I have metal cageing wire tile to put on the floor and homemade keep litter in the cage thingy then wire. I have the dimensions and everything but I have one itsy bitsy problem. I don't know what to do for a door I thought maybe build it like a ferret cage or rats cage door but then I don't know what to keep it closed with. Some one please help me figure out what to do about my door situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I was going to build my mouse cage...but instead purchased a 25gallon with screen lid...because we have cats here& one is a "mouser"

Mulder (Natalie) gave me lots of good ideas in my thread& even enclosed pics of her cage& how she kept the door closed
It's great,check it out here: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/b...ase-41160.html

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Thanks for the url. link. it was helpful.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

Your welcome
Mulder is a genius when it comes to that stuff

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah mulder has talent in that department for sure

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Will It Ever Change?

*blush* thanks guys....hehe

you can make a whole side wall a door if you're ambitious, then just go get a latch and some hinges from a hardware store....

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

ok I got latches hinges etc. everythings ready to go but I came accross another problem... the floor. I was thinking about vinnyl flooring in the bottom but I don't know if I should get sticky or non sticky kind. I want the sticky back to tack it to the bottom of the cage but I don't know if the mice would be safe chewing it. So which would be safer for them and is there any other kind of flooring I could use.

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I got one more idea. I can make a bin cage easily but I am builing a cage so it can be mulit-level. Anyone got any ideas how to make levels in a big cage for mice?

1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Will It Ever Change?

not sure about the sticky tiles, i used a sheet of plexiglass and sealed it with silicon bathroom stuff. it dries quick, i left it a day just to be sure. i suppose the sticky tiles will work as long as you cut off excess so they don't have anywhere to chew on. bin cages are cool but mice like to climb up and down cage walls....so it's up to you what you want them having or beign able to do. also in terms of bin cage levels, you can throw some scrap wood together into a makeshift table thing, gives them a shelf. stapling toilet paper tubes together into different structures is fun, and the micies fit through all the holes, my hammy liked that. personally i'd keep bin cages for hamsters only, but it's totally up to you. you can go outside and find a non-coniferous tree and steal some branches, take some twine and make a ladder. you can cut a slit in either side of the bin, then stick a strip of cardboard through, that's a secure shelf (mice barely weigh anything)....someone here made a multilevel bin cage for their dwarf hammy, it's cool too

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

I ended up going with the bin cage idea. I took a bucket and cut some entrance holes looped a rope inside and outside of it with a ladder. I did your wood idea but made it out of wire due to me not knowing if the trees here are txoic or not. They seem to really enjoy it. I want to make a wire cage eventually but it'll take some time to get and finish. I guess they will have this for now. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Will It Ever Change?

kewl! you shoudl show up pics hehehe. you can easily look up the types of trees by taking pics for me lol OR googling to find a page that classifies trees by their leaves. i had to learn it all for my bio lab so if you take pics i can help you the easiest thing is to just avoid ALL conifers and you should be safe

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

My neighbors yard was overtaken with mold due to rain so every one on my street and more had to put all kinds of stuff so I won't use my trees but my mom has alot of trees at her house when I visit I can take pictures. I will get pics of my bin cage asap.(photobucket canm take alot of time at moments)

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
bird cage, wire cage