Mouse Cages - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Mouse Cages

My boyfriend's been wanting mice for quite a while now, so I'm planning to get them for him for his birthday. The idea is to buy the cage and other accesories (food, etc.) for him and then take him to the petstore to pick out which ones he wants. Now I just have to decide what type of cage. There's always the classic 10 gallon aquarium, but I was also looking at a couple of cages that are supposedly hamster/gerbil/mouse cages. They have wire bars that seem to be close enough together so the mice wouldn't escape, but they also have plastic tubes that run in different places. Has anyone had any experience with these? Good, bad, etc? I'm wondering if the mice would be able to go up a vertical tube made big enough for hamster. Any mice owners have any suggestions?

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 04:42 PM

I have not had mice for sometime now, but would recommend a aquarium verses a wire cage. We had used a small wire cage and the mice got out of it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:37 AM
chingina

I used to breed fancey mice and just got out of it and have only keep one. From my personal experiance.. i used hamsters cages the ones called :spacestaion: or :safari: they worked great because u could use thouse plastic tubes and conect another cage to it... i never ever got an ecaped mouse and i had over 25 mice at one time...I did use a few glass aquariums but found they smelled because the mice did not get fresh air circulating, and the wire cages let the air in and out. And the spacestation and safri cages are relly cheap compared to aquariums, and you can get some neat stuff for them.... only thing is about them do not take them apart every time you wash them... they tent to breck....
but use whatever you feel comforteble with and have great mouseie fun....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:35 PM
Catma63

Just a suggestion, but have you checked out Martin's Cages? I purchased the cages for my ratties online but they have cages for other varmints, as well. I'm very happy with mine, and so are my ratties.
Go to Martin's Cages

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have a Martin's Cage actually for my ferrets. I love it to death, as do my fuzzies. I didn't really think about it for mice just cause I thought they might be able to escape through the sides.

:blob8:
Courtney - Animal Tamer of "The Wild Kingdom": 7 ferrets (Ezra, Vin, Starkes, Pacce, Bucky, Spin, and Marty), 3 Puppies (Reece, Pith, and Parker), 3 Kittens (Loki, Dante, and Elly), 1 Rabbit (Benny), 7 Gerbils (Nathan=Mom, Josiah=Dad, Lightning, Thunder, Hail, Rain, & Sleet), and 1 Hedgehog (Goo)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Stgtanya

Quote:
Originally posted by chingina
I used to breed fancey mice and just got out of it and have only keep one. From my personal experiance.. i used hamsters cages the ones called :spacestaion: or :safari: they worked great because u could use thouse plastic tubes and conect another cage to it... i never ever got an ecaped mouse and i had over 25 mice at one time...I did use a few glass aquariums but found they smelled because the mice did not get fresh air circulating, and the wire cages let the air in and out. And the spacestation and safri cages are relly cheap compared to aquariums, and you can get some neat stuff for them.... only thing is about them do not take them apart every time you wash them... they tent to breck....
but use whatever you feel comforteble with and have great mouseie fun....
We have mice & a hamster. All are in glass aquariums and they tend to smell. More so the mice than the hammy. I used to have the plastic spacestation for a hamster and liked it but, the hammy chewed a hole thru the plastic to escape. I don't know if the mice could chew their way out or not. With the plastic, you get more air and less smell, it's lighter weight but as mentions already they tend to break.
I guess it all comes down to what you like.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:03 PM
P-Diggity Dog Lover

I used those cages too, and I thought they smelled pretty bad with a male mouse.

I ended up moving Stewie into a 20 gallon tank - and it made a big difference. He had more room to play, and it never got the musty male mouse smell.

I had bought a smilar cage when I first got him as a baby, and he could squeeze through the bars. So every morning for a week, I'd get up and no mouse in his house. He'd be out visiting the guinea pigs. He'd go from cage to cage and say good morning. He only escaped at night. He was a pretty cool mouse!

I use a 20 gallon tank for my hammy too.

Donna
Dallas, Houston & Peanut the Prairie Dogs
Gypsy & Amber the Satos
Apache, Amigo, Max, and Morgan the Kitties
Scooter, Annie, Buttercup & Squeaky the Guinea Pigs
Mocha & Latte the Rat A Tats

Tags
guinea pig, wire cage, wire cages