Mouse chewing bars? and toy ideas? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Mouse chewing bars? and toy ideas?

I have 2 cages for my mouse, we put her in a 10 gallon tank when were not around, and in a critter cage on my desk when we can sit and be with her, since i worry about her getting out of the critter one. So shes usually in the critter one most of the night. but when shes in the critter one she seems to chew the bars quite a bit. And i wonder if this is because shes bored, or if maybe she just wants to go back to her other cage?

Also, i was wondering what kinds of toys you give your mice, so far all she has is toilet paper tubes, and a bridge made of sisal string which she seems to like. And i have her some timothy hay to nibble. i'll prolly get her some fleece the next time i goto a store that has some. What else can i give her? What do your mice like? I'd love to see some pics of your mousy cages

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 AM
RAT ADDICT

Ah yes the chewing of the bars...very annoying...
I noticed most reasons mice do it is boredom or to get your attention,however I have had mice in the past with EVERYTHING and they just chew the bars as habit.In all honesty I have never gotten mice to stop once they started,it became habit for them.I heard of some people using bitter apple on the bars,but this does not phase some animals and may not work.

I have all of my mice in a tank now so they do not chew the bars (that always went through me...*shudder*).

As for toys...tubes,ladders,ropes,tunnels,rocks and other things for climbing,tissues (they love shredding them),paper,a wheel...etc,etc.I just took pictures of my tank last night but they are not on the computer yet.

I made a giant mountain of paper.I got an empty oatmeal box and covered it with a mass mountain of shredded paper...so it acts as two things,a cave-like bed (they have a little hole to go in) and a mountain for climbing.I will have to show you pictures as I am not good at explaining.But it is pretty cool and the mice seem to like it.

I also alternate things and each time I clean their cage,I try and change things up and give them different toys and things to do.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh you can give your mice more chew things,that may cut down on the bar chewing.However I found it didn't do much once I had a bar chewer.But you can try.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Will chewing the bars hurt her teeth? I dont mind the sound so much. i jus think it cant be very good for her teeth. not to mention if shes getting the paint off the bars. I gave her a little dog treat today, which she seemed to really like, and it gives her something else hard to chew on.

Do your mice try to bite your nails? shes never bit my fingers, she tested a little once, but every time she gets by my nails she tries to bite them.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

This might seem like an odd question...but does "desk" constitute a computer desk? If so, you might want to move her. Anything electronic radiates EMF, which can be toxic especially to small animals.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnstuff View Post
Will chewing the bars hurt her teeth? I dont mind the sound so much. i jus think it cant be very good for her teeth. not to mention if shes getting the paint off the bars. I gave her a little dog treat today, which she seemed to really like, and it gives her something else hard to chew on.

Do your mice try to bite your nails? shes never bit my fingers, she tested a little once, but every time she gets by my nails she tries to bite them.
I don't think it hurts her,otherwise she wouldn't do it.Thats good you don't mind the sound,I cannot stand it! Especially if they did it overnight.If she getting the paint off the cage,there is a spray you can get thats NON-TOXIC to spray on the bars to protect the paint..unfortunatly the name of it is escaping me at the moment!

Sometimes my mice will nip and chew at my fingernails and not actually bite me,they are just into the nails.Sorcha is bitey anyways and will bite anything though.I have also had some rats and mice that didn't bite in the past,but would always be interested in my fingernails and chew at them.I don't know what it is about fingernails though.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
This might seem like an odd question...but does "desk" constitute a computer desk? If so, you might want to move her. Anything electronic radiates EMF, which can be toxic especially to small animals.
really? well that sucks, i guess i'll have to find another place for her. (and maybe sit a little further back from the computer )

My Furry Family

Tags
bored mice, chewing bar, toys