Mouse Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Mouse Food

Hey everyone - I have a question about mouse food. I just haven't been happy with the commercial food available - it seems like there are just too many little tiny seeds - what a waste... Anyway - what do you guys feed your mice? Do you buy commercial, which ones? Or do you make up your own? If so, what do you mix?

Thanks,
Charlotte

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Well I became a mouse owner as of yesterday, so I am no expert on this subject. But I have checked out the mixes at pet stores, and like you I'm not impressed. I e-mailed my friend (who rescues rats and mice) to find out what the best diet is. In the meantime I have them eating what I feed my rats (a mixture of cereals, raw veggie pasta, sunflower seeds, Innova senior dogfood, dried fruits, and grains). I also mixed a little of my hamster's food in. I'll let you know what my friend says because she knows a lot about rodent nutrition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks! I'd definitely like to hear what she says. Another thing my girls do - they pick through the food and throw out everything but their favorite stuff... they especially like pumpkin seeds. Makes for a messy cage though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

yeah, mostly a mix of whatever's available at the store (dry pasta, veggies, grain cereals, various fruit, nutro lite, dry wheat or 7 grain bread- usually the end pieces of my bread, lol, puffed rice ,etc.....)

but then spinies need extra protein so usually there's kitten/ferret food in my mix as well.. and lots of crickets/mealies.

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Mice like rats can benefit greatly from a high quality lab block (IE Harlans teklad) and/or high quality low protein dog food (i.e. Nutro lite or senior)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

They have basically the same nutritional needs as rats. I'd be careful with them throwing away what they don't like and just eating what they like, cause they are not recieving the right nutrition. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds, favorite among rodents, are high in fat, so if they continue feeding in just these, they'll get obese. I think that in this case, they would benefit of a high quality lab block, so they can't pick out favorite stuff.

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLoveRats
Mice like rats can benefit greatly from a high quality lab block (IE Harlans teklad) and/or high quality low protein dog food (i.e. Nutro lite or senior)
Yep. Innova Senior is a really good dogfood for rats and mice. You could use that for the base diet and then make up a seed/grain mix, and add some puffed wheat cereal (they love that!). Thats what I'm going to do.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 04:28 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

lab block food is very beneficial as:

1. they can't pick through the foods they don't like (haha! just like I didn't ever eat my peas as a baby)
2. they won't get hurt by sharp edges of seed touching the insides of their mouths, etc. (I had a mouse ultimately die as a result of that...so if you do have seedy food, etc. I would grind it a little first)

Don't use Kaytee, as it has harmful chemicals!!!

I use a brand called Sunseed Sunthing Special critter cubes. hehe

GOOD LUCK!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...

Tags
dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, ferret food, lab block, pet store, pet stores, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds