Mouse hair problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Mouse hair problem

hello i have this pet mouse (i have many) and a while back he seemed very sickly and dragged his bum around a'lot and i eventualy noticed it was mites and i couldn't find any way of killing the mites cos i live in a remote place the vet was out of the question so in order to stop him suffering i had no choice but to completely shave his hair (i know it sounds cruel but its better the scratching himself to death) he seems healthy happy and his skin doesn't seem irritated or anything but his hair doesn't want to grow back one patch behind his head has grown back to full length but the rest doesn't seem to be why could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

i don't think mice shed, so they must have hair that grows back very slowly.
How long has it been?
I am not sure that even gets rid of mites...
I would say you need patience for it all to grow back. lots of patience. and give it something really warm to keep warm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Mites cannot be seen,lice on the otherhand can.
Are the critters reddish-brown? If so,these are rodent lice.

They will be biting the skin of the mouse,so therefore shaving him doesn't do much.

Mice can shed,but it is usually not as noticable as a rat or a dog.
When did you shave him? Fur takes some time to grow back.There is no way at all you could get him to a vet?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

How on earth did you manage to shave a mouse? I can't get Winston to sit still for a minute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

my mice are very tame

he si a very very tame mouse he just sat there cos he knew i was trying to help and it did get rid of the mites a all his scratch spots have healed now (maybe they were just duck lice we get them a'lot here) and it has been a very long time like more then 2 weeks. i dont have to worry about him getting cold cos he has his brother who is his like best mate who he always sleeps in the same box as and its very very warm here atm i just want his hair to grow back cos he had such a soft and good looking coat he is a long haired grey mouse with a few small white spots and lol as i'm saying this one of my females is pinching bits of newspaper form another girls box while she is sleeping
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If you have mites there are some things you have to do to try to get rid of them since you don't have a vet nearby.

You have to thoroughly disinfect the cage. You have to wash it out with a mixture of bleach and water (more water then bleach) and let it dry COMPLETELY. If you don't have a freezer big enough to freeze their bedding then you have to throw it away. I was just advise to throw away all their toys. After you have done all that then you can take you mouse and their mates and drop a few drops of olive oil on their skin. rub it in....this isn't a fix but it will help with the itching/dry skin. You will have to do this every night along with sterilizing their cage and their toys.

Mites and lice are something you don't want to mess with. They are little buggers and they can kill your pets.

*Missy*
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

yeh

i have since dealt with the mite problem its just that he is still bald.i got bored and made him a little vest and i named him vest mouse (i don't usualy name my mice until they do something unique) he doesnt seem to mind it and it stops him from getting little scratches and bumps from messing around with his brothers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
RAT ADDICT

If one mouse has mites/lice it is guaranteed your other mice have them,especially if in contact with him.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Also if he still has scratches and bumps, then he probably still has lice/mites.

*Missy*
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

no not mites

o these are from fighting with is brother none of the other mice have mites. i got rid of the mites before the other mice in where old enough to live on there own i know whats its from i saw them happen its just them fighting over a box

Tags
mouse hair problem