Mouse is Preggers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Red face Mouse is Preggers?

I have a ten week old mouse I think is preggers. I adopted three mice from an accidental litter, and sexed them immediately after adoption to make sure this wasn't going to happen. I emailed the person I adopted them from (she runs her own rescue center) to see how old they were when she got the litter, and when they were seperated from the boys.

I've had them a week now, and the two albinos grew a lot, the little black one still seems a little small for her age. But then I noticed yesterday that one of my white girls, who I named Cat (Catrina), seems to be developing a little bulge in her tummy. (No she isn't constipated lol) But the thing is it sometimes seems like she has it but when she stretches her body out, she looks normal.

So after doing a lot of looking around, I found out that sometimes doe mice never even really show they're pregnant so my "wait and see" idea isn't sounding so good anymore.

Should I just take her out of the cage and put her in a nursery tank for a couple of weeks? If I don't realize she's pregnant and she gives birth with the other two females around (the black one, Cinder, is very dominant personality) will the other females kill the babies? Since she's so young how likely is it that she or her litter will die during labor? How big of a litter should I expect if she is pregnant because of her age?

I have absolutely NO idea what to do to tell if she's pregnant. I have no intention of keeping the babies either. Breeding was SO not my plan on this.

Just really need someone to tell me WHAT the odds are of her not showing or not showing much, and what I need to do.

Until then, I'm anxiously awaiting the email from the rescue center...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Got an email from the owner of the rescue center, she had the mother mouse of the litter and seperated the babies at four weeks, she only had one iffy little girl (didn't correctly sex her until five weeks) and she kept her for herself and that mouse isn't pregnant.

She said it's highly unlikely, but to email her if she keeps gaining weight, if she is pregnant she'll take her and the babies until the babies are weened.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

hope everything works out i dont know anything about babies and that but keep us updated

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

She may just be a little fatty!

It is up to you if you want to seperate her from the other females.Some females will help the mother look after the babies.If she is pregnant,make sure she gets extra protien and nutrients in her diet or she may very well eat her own babies.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
She may just be a little fatty!

It is up to you if you want to seperate her from the other females.Some females will help the mother look after the babies.If she is pregnant,make sure she gets extra protien and nutrients in her diet or she may very well eat her own babies.
I've never hoped I had a fat pet until now lol Just keeping a close eye on her weight to see how it changes.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Will It Ever Change?

well if she's prego then she'll become very pear shaped. a fatty mousie will have a big head too, a pergo mousie has a regular head and a bigger belly. search on here for prego mouse pics, that might help

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
well if she's prego then she'll become very pear shaped. a fatty mousie will have a big head too, a pergo mousie has a regular head and a bigger belly. search on here for prego mouse pics, that might help
I know she should look like that, I've seen preggo mice, first thing I did was hit up google lol but someone completely freaked me out with a "sometimes they don't show" line lol

Some of the pictures I saw I really couldn't believe the mouse didn't split in half lol Fat I expect but one was bigger than the womans hand and her poor little frame wasn't that big at all. Wonder how she managed to even move...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

She is probably just a fatty. It is pretty true when someone says they don't show until the last minute. Mice babies are tiny so that's probably why.

If she does turn out to be preggo you can keep her with her cagemates...just watch them to make sure that the mommy is nursing them like she should. Sometimes mice mommys have a major maternal gene and they will want to take over the babies and won't let the original mommy nurse.

*Missy*
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i'm so curious now....prego or fatty?? but babies are so cute!!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
i'm so curious now....prego or fatty?? but babies are so cute!!
I'm THINKING fatty lol Doesn't seem to be anything dramatic happening to her weight now. I showed them to my dad (who saw them only after their adoption) and he mentioned the weight gain but also that they're bigger in general. So I'm thinking maybe she's just finishing up growing.

After learning so much about breeding I think I might want to sometime down the road. After all Cinder is such a beautiful little girl... She has a gorgeous black coat. And Cat is such a little lover. I dunno, I have about four months before I'll give up that idea, I read it's too dangerous to let them breed after that time.

We'll see, I have no idea what life is going to be like in the next four months. Chaotic doesn't even describe...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

I really would hold off on breeding them.Do you know their genes? If not,then don't breed.Pet store mice shouldn't be bred.

I say research breeding some more before you decide for sure.There is more to it then just raising cute little baby mice!!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 AM

poor little mouse.
I've read they aren't ment to have babies before 12 weeks.
I hope that if she is pregnant she gets through the birth!
and I hope in general she isnt pregnant
I have a litter due in 5 days give or take.
Its quite scary but its worth it
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

any updates?

*prays shes just a fatty*
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyjumps93 View Post
any updates?

*prays shes just a fatty*
Sorry for not being on lately, but that's a subject for another thread...

Okay so yeah, she's fat... Or was. Once I got the second running wheel in there with the bigger cage she's gotten more exercise and slimmed her little butt back down. Thankfully, if she stayed that fat I'd be worried. It's good to know all she needed was more exercise.

So now I have three trim and lovely little girls lol
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yay!!

Tags
baby mice, pet store