mouse quistion - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

mouse quistion

in about a mounth i'am planning on getting some mice from my local PetSmart. and since they only have males up for adoption i was wondering if it would be okey for them to live together since changes are they were origanly litter mates. i plan to house them in a 10 gallion aquariunm attached to a 5 gallion by critter tub. also if i only get one wont he be lonly since i will only be spending about 2 hourse a day with him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Oily Chickenspew

i would get more than one if it was me and from what i heard if there are 2 males that live together that are litter mates they should get along fine

more help will be on the way

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would try 2 if you are prepared to split them up if they end up fighting

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I agree with Kendalle. You can try it but sometimes it may not work. make sure they have a lot of space and a lot of hidey houses. You might also want to have 2 different food bowls because they can fight over that too. Good Luck.

*Missy*
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks everyone for all the good advice and i'm sure i will have many more quistions in the weeks to come
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You can't get females from anywhere? Females get along great.

Males ARE okay alone. You said you could give them 2 hours a day which is fine. You'd be surprised but in my experience, males tend to flip out when they come with other males.

The reason why you don't really see them fight at the petstores is because they're young. As soon as you put them in the cage together they'll get territorial.

*Missy*
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:04 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have only successfully raised male littermates up together.So unless you have littermates,be prepared for a bloodbath! Male mice will fight to the death.Not always,but they can.

I say you should have a spare cage,just in case you have to seperate them!Little squabbles are normal,but when there is blood,thats not a good sign.

One male mouse can live alone,no problem!

But as Missy asked,you cannot find females anywhere?? Females are easier to keep together,as they are socila...alot more then the males!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

No i haven't been able to locate any pet shops that sell females anywhere in a 100 miles of where i live. But my grandparents have a neighor that i heard has snakes i was thinking of contacting them to see if they raise mice for food and if so if maybe they will let me choose eith a couple of babies or give me a pregnant mouse to raise the babies myself than give the others away to good homes. << is this a good idea or not
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

just make sure you have seperate beds, food pots, water bottles, things like that, just making sure that there is less for them to get territorial over lowers the risk of a fight, but it is still highly possible xxx

Mama to -

Rabbit - Sooty

Big Sister to -
Squinick
//
Twinkle // Kelly
//
Pink-Winged Sticks! // Fishies!

To those we have lost and are forever asleep... we will never forget you and could never replace you, rest in peace
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i'd think as long as there's anough space and they are littermates, then they'l be fine. also don't have female mice in their vicinity? make sure they can't get out of the tub cage, mice can do anything

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlover57
No i haven't been able to locate any pet shops that sell females anywhere in a 100 miles of where i live. But my grandparents have a neighor that i heard has snakes i was thinking of contacting them to see if they raise mice for food and if so if maybe they will let me choose eith a couple of babies or give me a pregnant mouse to raise the babies myself than give the others away to good homes. << is this a good idea or not
If you do take a pregnant mouse,make sure you have many cages to seperate males (just in case they do fight).Also you should have homes lined up for the babies and if not,you have to be willing to look after up to 20 babies!Having baby mice is alot of fun,but there is wrok involved to make sure the mommy has everything she needs and then the taming...

I would say just try and get a pair of young females,if you can.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Yea I agree with Lisa. Maybe you could contact the snake guy and just take 2 of his females to see if you're okay with raising mice. That might be a better idea then taking on a pregnant mouse. Things can go wrong during their pregnancy and you might need to take them to an E Vet if something does go wrong. Also you probably wouldn't know if the guy had bred the same mouse before or not. Also you don't know if he's just keeping male and females together and letting them breed on their own.

Hopefully the guy is feeding frozen/thawed but if not you might be able to get 2 females from him. If the guy is breeding them responsibly then he's probably breeding healthy mice. Snake owners know that their snakes have to have healthy mice or problems can arise in the snake.

Okay I'm rambling...

Good Luck

*Missy*
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

No your not! Your making some good points!!

* Lisa *

Tags
baby mice, female mice, food bowl, food bowls, litter mates, male mice, males together, pet shop, pet shops