Mouse and Rat myths and questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Mouse and Rat myths and questions

This is going to get long and annoying so please bear with me
I have a few questions about my mouse and rats (both in my bedroom). When I let my rats out for free time its pretty much my whole room except the bed. They only dribble pee a small amount, but I always vacuum after and spray the floor with an animal floor spray cleaner. So my first question is...
1. Do you think it could permanently ruin the carpet or make it smell?
2. Is it bad to vacuum with my mouse and rats in the room? Too loud for their little ears?
Also I have heard lots of myths/facts about mice and rats living around each other. I heard that if mice get rat pee on them it makes them live shorter lives and makes them not able to get pregnant (not that I'm planning on breeding or anything ). And that the smell will stress the mice out?
3. Is this true?

After the ratties get to play it is Maggie's turn. They have a playpen gate and I put towels on the floor, just in case they go to the bathroom. She has toilet paper tubes, an igloo, and treats in there. I was wondering...
4. Do you suppose she can smell the rats and it stresses her out/ makes her nippy? Sometimes she has been nippy in the playpen.
5. Toy suggestions for playtime?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and replies! I'm sorry for all the questions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
RAT ADDICT

Keeping the carpet clean,there won't be any long term damage...no.

Well vacuums are annoying for anyone,I cannot stand the sound.That being said,I have vcaummed as well as had a lot of other noise in the same room as my mice and my rats and they either sleep through it or seem oblivious.They never appear scared or anything.My cats on the other hand are wusses when I vacuum and run and hide.But if your rats or mice appear overly scared or stressed,you can move their cages out of the room while you do the cleaning.It is up to you and how well you know your rats and mice and if they are stressed about the sound.

As for the mice getting rat pee on them,making them infertile and such...thats strange! I NEVER heard that before...NEVER.And I would wonder how the mice got rat pee on them in the first place if you kept them seperate.I am going to say thats false,seeing as in my years of rat and mouse ownership I never read or hear that anywhere.

However the smell of a rat can stress mice out.Rats are natural predators of mice.I found that keeping them on opposite sides of the room,there is never problems.I have had both rats and mice for years and the mice adapt well and get used to the smell of rat.As long as they are kept separate,I would not worry.Some mice stress out more then others though.

Was your mouse always a little nippy or did that happen after you got your rats? If it was after the fact,maybe thoroughly clean the area and yourself to get the rat smell off of you.If you don't wash your hands and stuff after handling your rats and then handle your mice,well you will smell like a rat and therefore a predator and thats why she is nipping.So I would wash my hands and make sure the play area does not smell like rats.

Toy suggestions for rats or mice?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks so much I really appreciate it!

I don't know how they would get the pee on them either but I was scared that somehow Maya could have and thats why she passed away or something. Maybe I've just gone crazy

They are on opposite sides of the room and they don't seem to be stressed out at all. I ALWAYS wash my hands really good before petting her or anything, but I just don't want to be stressing out my girlie.

She got nippy after I got the rats but its only when I pick her up from the playpen not her cage (which is strange).

I was wondering about suggestions for mice, the rats are spoiled and have ridiculous amounts of toys I just feel like she's bored sometimes and I can't think of anything to keep her occupied.

Thanks!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry for your loss...I didn't realize one of your mice passed on!

I didn't notice you only mentioned Maggie,but never thought anything of it.But I highly doubt Maya passed on from getting rat pee on her...I just never heard of that or anything like that ever!

If the mouse doesn't seem too stressed,I wouldn't worry about it.None of my mice appear stressed either and they have been in the same room as my rats (currently seperated rooms though while I am moving things around) for a long time.I always had rats and mice in the same room.I find that they eventually adapt and are never stressed out.They are used to the ratty smell.If your breeding though,it is true that the smell of rat can stress mothers out and their babies have low birth weights or the litters are small generally.Back in the day when I used to breed mice,I found this always happened.But when the mice were in another room with no rats,there was a huge difference.

Hmmm...does the playpen ever smell like rat? None of my mice are nippy except Sorcha and actually she BITES.But she was like that since I got her.So I don't know why your mouse has gotten nippy.

Mouse toys...well,tubes and tunnels,ladders,branches to climb,bird ropes,cardboard boxes (I save boxes from cereal,oatmeal,cookies...anything really),rocks for climbing...etc,etc.You can find all sorts of things around the house that a mouse (or rat) would love and appreciate.Just make sure it is safe.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *