Mouse toys. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Mouse toys.

Hello all, I'm new to mice and Ive been trying to get creative with toys that I don't need to spend a fortune on; I'm trying to keep some variety in it for my 4 little friends and I found some wine bottle corks laying around at work; a few are some sort of recycled rubbery plastic stuff; and then there's some that are actual cork; I was wondering if these would be harmful for my mice if I threw them in their tank to be played with and they ended up chewing on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hmm, it is a good idea to be cautious with those...I would be safe rather than sorry and not use them, as they can crumble into bits and your mice kids could choke on the pieces. I would stick with items like wood chews from the pet store, toilet paper rolls, small Kleenex boxes that they can play in and chew on safely, or even items like wood spools that sewing thread comes on, things that are either solid, like wood or that are paper constructed (like toilet paper rolls). I used to cut up a toilet paper roll or a paper towel roll into several small mini tubes for my little guys. Hope this helped a bit?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It did, thank you very much Vladina. ill try and root out some thread spools. I know I've got a sewing kit around here somewhere that I never use that I could steal from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Safe Mouse Toys

Well, glad I could help but I am sure that after a couple of days, you will get more suggestions from other people on the forum and probably get tons more ideas for safe mouse toys that I did not even think of yet.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh, cereal boxes are great fun, too...as are any empty boxes, really! As long as the box is clean, I let my boys (rats) use them before I throw them away. They LOVE it. Also, just letting them play with tissue paper, kleenex or paper towel is a real hit, as well.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh sheesh, I totally forgot about tissue paper, paper towels, Kleenex, and all that. Thanks for posting that Breyer! Yep, good stuff. As long as it is clean (i.e. no newspaper with ink, or that kind of thing).

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Toilet rolls are always fun for mice. I have also tried a cleaned out yoghurt pot which I cut the end off. I gave Winston an old cat toy ball with a little bell inside which he loved pushing around. You can make them hammocks out of old material which they adore clambering around in. Ropes are also good but you have to make sure they are made out of material which isn't harmful to mice.

Mice love to climb but they also like changes and new challenges. Moving the items in their cage every so often will give them some fun time to explore. My boyfriend once made Winston a maze inside a large shoebox all out of cardboard. He adored it, we connected it to his cage via a toilet tube so he could go in and out at his leisure. It worked great until he pee'd too much in it and I had to throw it out. Still it was free to make and gave him a lot of fun.

Hope this helps!

Mister Winston Shiny-Sides
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Love the toilet paper rolls. You can leave them open for tunnel crawling, or you can put a treat inside and fold the ends closed for them to chew their way in to get the goody.

I've also loosely crumpled up paper bags and put them in the cage. It gives them a little mountain to explore full of caves and nooks and crannies.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Great suggestions!! I knew everyone would come up with good stuff to recommend.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Newborn Pup

I like what everyone has said, tissue boxes, toliet paper rolls, you know the deal. Just be careful that the cardboard doesnt have any traces of glue on it! Your mice might chew on the cardboard and eat the glue, and we dont want that!

Lil'Miss
Lilly
Estella
Paranell
Paulie
Penny

Tags
cork, corks, mice, plastic, toys