mouse with a tumor...how long will she live? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy mouse with a tumor...how long will she live?

I'm new here and haven't introduced myself yet...so, here goes. I'm Vall, and I have five mice, a tarantula, and a shih-tzu. The other day when I was playing with my mouse, Consuela, I found a tumor near her front left shoulder that seemed to have appeared out of nowhere...it's the same size as her head, and very hard...She is about 12 months old and inbred so I guess I should have expected it but it still kind of came as a shock, since the tumor came literally out of nowhere. So, I'm not asking for advice or anything really, I'm just wondering how long she will have to live if I don't have her euthanized?? ...She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and she still loves to burrow and nibble things with her sister Elle, but Elle will be so lonely once she's gone since they are my only females
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer my question...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

I have no idea, as I'm new to being a rat owner, but when Vanilla Rat comes on she will probably be able to give you that info.. She knows a lot about ratties.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

well if mice are anything like rats regarding tumors, it sounds like she has a mammary tumor. Our rat, Oreo, got one at 16 mos old. She lived for 5 mos. It got extremely large and made it very difficult for her to get around. We put her to sleep on April 1. I don't know what the timetable would be for a mouse though. We decided to keep Oreo going until she seemed unhappy and miserable. Generally mam tumors aren't painful, but they get very large and make life difficult. I guess if they get entangled in internal organs they would be. So we watched her. We decided it was time when the tumor got hard (tumors like this can rupture) and when she was hanging her mouth open to breath. She started breathing with her mouth open on 3/31. On Apr 1 the tumor seemed very hard. I just couldn't bear thinking it would rupture. What a horror that would be for her mostly then for us. Oreo's tumor also popped out of nowhere. The vet said that they often do that.

So sorry about your mousey

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Title Thief Victim

I don't have an answer to you're question, but I wish you the best of luck and

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM
laugh often

I usually put my mice to sleep when they don't seem to enjoy things in life like playing in their wheel or ball or if they are visually miserable or in alot of pain. Mice have a lifespan of 1-2 years but there are rare occassions of them living longer.

Last edited by Mousey; 04-16-2007 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

aw poor thing sorry to hear about the mousy
I dont know what you should do.....
I think kiah's advice sounded like what i would do..

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

Welcome!

I am sorry you found that.It is sad,because in my experiance with mice,when a mouse gets a tumor,it grows fast.

Tumors are VERY common in female mice and rats,especially mammory.How old is your little one? Tumors can be surgically removed,but it is risky with mice.Plus there is still a chance of the tumors coming back/reacurring.Also if she is older,the vet may not want to remove it.

If she is not in any pain,you shouldn't worry.But tumors will grow fast in most cases and they can ulcerate and get infected,which is obviously not good.So if you see any signs of discomfort or pain in her,then she may have to be euthanized.

I would not euthanize her until you see any sign of pain,discomfort or lack of life...I mean,the will to live.

I would say talk to a vet.If your mouse is younger,you can discuss removal with the vet and just see what he/she says.

My friend's mom had a rat with a large tumor.She refused to take the rat to the vet.The tumor kept getting bigger,and eventually Missy (the rat) was pretty much sitting on the tumor.She was obvioulsy in alot of pain and discomfort.The woman still refused to take Missy into the vet,as she "wanted her to die in famailr surroundings".That was very selfish and the poor rat suffered.Well eventually the tumor kind of exploded,because the rat was picking at it and it was infected.I told her if she didn't bring the rat in to be euthanized,I would.But the rat died shortly after anyway.

Here is a link,it don't have much info...but a little bit,just scroll down abit.
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/qna2_98.htm

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Welcome!

I am sorry you found that.It is sad,because in my experiance with mice,when a mouse gets a tumor,it grows fast.

Tumors are VERY common in female mice and rats,especially mammory.How old is your little one? Tumors can be surgically removed,but it is risky with mice.Plus there is still a chance of the tumors coming back/reacurring.Also if she is older,the vet may not want to remove it.

If she is not in any pain,you shouldn't worry.But tumors will grow fast in most cases and they can ulcerate and get infected,which is obviously not good.So if you see any signs of discomfort or pain in her,then she may have to be euthanized.

I would not euthanize her until you see any sign of pain,discomfort or lack of life...I mean,the will to live.

I would say talk to a vet.If your mouse is younger,you can discuss removal with the vet and just see what he/she says.

My friend's mom had a rat with a large tumor.She refused to take the rat to the vet.The tumor kept getting bigger,and eventually Missy (the rat) was pretty much sitting on the tumor.She was obvioulsy in alot of pain and discomfort.The woman still refused to take Missy into the vet,as she "wanted her to die in famailr surroundings".That was very selfish and the poor rat suffered.Well eventually the tumor kind of exploded,because the rat was picking at it and it was infected.I told her if she didn't bring the rat in to be euthanized,I would.But the rat died shortly after anyway.

Here is a link,it don't have much info...but a little bit,just scroll down abit.
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/qna2_98.htm

Oh my God, that is so sad. As hard as it is to put any animal down, there are time when we just have to take a deep breath, wipe the tears away and do it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Hubbard
Oh my God, that is so sad. As hard as it is to put any animal down, there are time when we just have to take a deep breath, wipe the tears away and do it.
I know,but this woman do not agree with euthanasia or vets I guess.She goes thru cats like changing socks! I cannot believe how many cats she has had.Fortunatly she never got another rat after Missy.

If an animal is suffering ALOT,like Missy was,and there are no ways to help anymore and the animal has no will to live,then you should do what is best.

Anyway going off topic....sorry!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Part of the Pack

She still has a while, mine used to get tumors a lot too, Id say she has around 4 or 5 months.

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

My female mice got tumors all the time. I talked to a vet and he said there was no way to prevent it. When mine got a tumor they usually lived another 5 months before I decided it was in their best interest to be put down. Like everyone has been saying, you do not need to put her down until she shows signs of discomfort, pain, lack of a will to live etc. If the tumor gets very hard (it might be reaching it's maximum capacity and may pop) or develops a sore/infection, you should have her put down.
I am very sorry. All you can do (besides have it removed) is give her a lot of love and make the rest of her life wonderful.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My hammie lived 6 months after he got his tumour.

Time Spent With Pets Is Never Wasted!

MONTY

MOLLIE

.....BOB

COMET, PLUTO & SANTOS
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
Part of the Pack

What happens if the tumor is soft and squishy?

Horses simply love running around.They enjoy flexing their muscles, arching their tails in the air, rising up powerfully on their hind legs, and then thundering off at full speed. In between the gallop strides they buck exuberantly and toss their heads joyfully. After repeating their show a couple of times, they pause for a moment to look around with widely flared nostrils, as if to ask: Has everyone seen us? Aren't we simply fantastic? We urge them to move again. They react on the spot, hooves flying with delight.

Tags
female mice, male mice, vanilla rat