Mouse Water Bottle not working? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Mouse Water Bottle not working?

Hi I got 2 mice yesterday and everything is going well I just have a couple questions about the water bottles. I bought an 8 oz. water bottle

I have a link to the exact water bottle I purchased but I can not post it because of the forum.

I got it from a store not from that site. I have watched my mice trying to drink water but it looks like they have trouble and can not get any water out. When I take the water bottle out and touch the tip with my fingers they do not get wet unless I push the ball all the way in, in which I get a drop of water, but I have watched my mice try to drink and they don't even move the ball. Apparently it is spring loaded which I think might add to difficulty when my mice try to get water out. Are they getting the water they need? Should I get a smaller bottle for 2 mice? Should I get a different brand? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

You should probably think about getting a smaller one, because it sounds like it might be too difficult for mice to lick water from. I'd get a new bottle just to be safe, you don't want your little guys getting dehydrated.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Yes Welcome to pt!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you, should I look into getting the 6 oz bottle or the 4 oz bottle?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 AM
Part of the Pack

I would go for the one with a THIN metal. normally the thing ones are easy to move.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Adolescent Pup

Definitely a smaller, different type of water bottle needed.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Alright I got a 4 oz bottle but the nozzle size is exactly the same size as the 8 oz and they are still having trouble, any specific brands up for suggestion? I'm using the super pet clear water bottle brand currently.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am using a cheap, 100ml german made water bottle, can't tell you the brand it is in German, but it is a big improvement on the last one, which for some strange reason stopped working, maybe your mouseys' tongues aren't strong enough to operate the ball properly?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

yeah I'm thinking that is it, im trying to find a way to take the ball out completely because the water will still just form a droplet on the end of it without it leaking, correct me if I'm wrong though, there might be some weird flaw in taking the ball out let me know before hand haha. But yeah the mice are tiny and can barely manage to move the ball I guess it would be best to go back to where I got em and ask which brand water bottle they had.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Adolescent Pup

Taking the ball out will mean the water will just pour out!!, the weight of the water holds the ball down forming a seal.. when your little friend pushes the ball with the tongue, it releases a little water, the more water in the bottle, the harder it becomes to push the ball, I change the water every day, so I don't need a large bottle for them to drink from, if your critter is struggling to use the bottle properly, it may be worth putting a bowl in the cage instead, if they were raised using a bowl anyway, they may still need to learn to use a bottle, it will be an alien object, and, like my girls, a little squeeze of the bottle when they sniff it will release a little drop, and prompt them to drink, and learn what a water bottle is for....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

they where raised using a bottle, i was initially squeezing the bottle to release a droplet of water and I think it helped, I would watch very closely when they would drink and they wernt able or just didnt know how to push the ball in when they did push the ball in however no water came out, I think it was a double flaw inside the tube there was a spring which was supposed to help but I took it out and the water flows way more easily. No water drips out and my mice havnt had any problems since.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 02:51 PM
I am allergic to maths

I use a bottle (for my hamster) that has a light, hollow ball and it just rolls to release the water. You mentioned a spring, instead of removing the ball, try removing the spring maybe.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

^^ I would maybe remove the spring.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
I use a bottle (for my hamster) that has a light, hollow ball and it just rolls to release the water. You mentioned a spring, instead of removing the ball, try removing the spring maybe.
I did and it fixed the problem for now atleast haha

Tags
bottle, mouse, water, work