Mouth Cancer? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Mouth Cancer?

So, Meatball's face is starting to swell up again. I noticed his eye is oozing again as well. I looked in his mouth and his gums on the bottom are gray and there's a lump, almost like a tumor, on the side that's swelling. Well, of course none of my other furkids will let me look in their mouths. Does anyone know if rat's gums are suppose to be dark gray like that? I didn't know, maybe it makes a difference him being dark gray, but the upper gums are pink I hope he doesn't have cancer...

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Will It Ever Change?

take him to the vet. it could be a tooth problem. he needs medical attention

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:37 AM

Ooh sorry I dont know about that but it dosnt really sound normal you should probably take him to the vet just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I took him to the vet and he wouldn't even look in his mouth. The poor baby is over three years old, so nothing would surprise me at this point.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Aww poor rattie i hope he gets better soon xxxx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Jird Jostler

awww, poor little baby.. hope he gets well soon

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Umm you definitely need a new vet if he won't even look at the problem area
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I never even wanted to see that vet. I wanted to see Dr Mary Jane and ended up getting Dr Scott. He doesn't know very much about small animals. Dr Mary Jane and Joyce do and MJ was suppose to be there that night and wasn't.

I've been keeping an eye on it and wiping the goop out with a warm rag and it seems to be keeping at bay. Also, I bought some Nylabones today and he's been tearing them up all day, so he can't be hurting too badly. Before he wouldn't even touch his lab block.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:49 AM

I don't know much about rats but when I was in like kindergarten or something I had a rotten little tooth and it gave me a brown bubble on my gums above the tooth and the tissue around it was like a brownish gray. I know he's not a human but it could be something similar.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Could be.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've started him on another round of antibiotics and the swelling hasn't increased so that's good. Just gave him his first dose about two hours ago. Warm compresses seem to really help.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur