Mouth Ulcer? No clue... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Question Mouth Ulcer? No clue...

I have 3 mice right now, two females from the same litter, under a year old and a younger male, who's about 4 months old. He curently lives with the two females, and they get along famously. My only concern though, is that one of my females, who happens to be pregnant, seems to have something wrong with her mouth. She doesn't seem to be in ANY pain whatsoever, but her left cheek is swollen. I hadn't noticed this until a few days ago, but didn't think much about it, because I own hamsters, and forgot that mice do NOT have cheek pouches. The swelling doesn't seem to be going down, but she can still eat fine, and excercises regularly. Should I just leave things be? Is it worth a trip to the vet? She seems perfectly content as is, and I don't want her to stress while being pregnant. I'm thinking that it's a tumor, which, from what I understand, is quite common with aging mice. The thing is, she's still as active as ever, and still has the vitality of when I first got her. Her sister and the young male are in perfect condition, and there have been no dietary changes. They all seem to be depecating normally, which is why I don't think it's an allergic reaction. For now, I'm just keeping a close eye on her, and looking for any symptoms of pain, I feel like that's all I can do right now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM

I would take her too the vets to be on the save side then at least that puts your mind at rest but if she is ok tthen there be nothink too worrie about i hope she gets better soon
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I agree with Maria. Are you keeping her in with the male? Mice can reproduce very quickly and her getting pregnant right after birth can be very stressful for her

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Yes, she's with the male, but only until the pups are born, then I'm removing the other female along with the male to another cage. I just don't want any of my mice to be alone. Plus, I have waited to separate the male from the female until the pups were old enough to leave the mother many times without the female getting pregnant right after. That's not my main concern here. I've got a vet appointment for all three on Monday, but the vet I talked to seems to believe it's just her aging.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Hopefully it is nothing serious!It could be a tumor,abcess or cyst.These things are common in mice.

I know this is not what you were asking,but I hope you know what you are getting into,by having many mouse litters.It can get expensive after awhile.And really good homes are often hard to find.I just hope you know what you are doing and getting into.

Good luck and hopefully the little one is alright!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 01:48 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Males usually can only live alone, so he should be fine by himself. You can keep the females together, the unpregnant female will actually help out with the litter...Just make sure that the female that didn't have the babies tries to take over and doesn't let the lactating ffemale feed.

Good for taking them to the vet, let us know what happens!!

*Missy*
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,males CAN live alone just fine.They are territorial anyway,so you don't have to worry about having him alone.Even if you tried introducing another male to him,he would probably not accept him!

The females will be just fine together.I have had multiple females live together and take care of litters together.While mommy mouse is taking a break to eat or whatever,the other females will keep the babies warm and clean them.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

the feedbacks nice, if only people would give me advice for my other thread...lol I took them to the vet and it's fluid of some sort apparently...I'm not too good with blood or needles, so I'm not sure what she (the vet) did, but the swelling is gonig down a little..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

That's good, does she have antibiotics or anything? Maybe it was just a cyst.

*Missy*
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

Sounds like it must of been a cyst or abcess then.Hopefully she heals quickly!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok I AM worried now. BTW, it turned out that she WASN'T pregnant. Apparently, neither of my females is fertile anymore. She IS slightly overweight though, and now with the change in weather, she IS starting to show that she's aging. I now have part of the cage over a heating pad, just to make sure the girls don't get sick. But the thing is, she's moving around a lot slower, and her fur's starting to look a little worn. The other female never was all that active, but after paying close attention, I realize they might not make it until spring. My male is as healthy as ever though. They're all on vitamin supplements, recommended by the vet. I'll just be really sad to see my females go if they do die...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats the sad thing about mice and rats...they don't live long enough.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

are you still keeping her with the male? bc male mice are sexually active at 6wks and you may think that she is too old to get pregnant but you can be mislead

how old are your females?

i had a male mouse live to be 2yrs and 2months old..it was sad to see his fur get thinner but i loved him till the end...spend as much time as possible with them...they need that more than ever...you cant buy that precious time back

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Tags
heating pad, male mice, males together