My 1st pet rat and now I have ringworm :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

My 1st pet rat and now I have ringworm :(

I've had my pet rat now for 2 months and I just love playing with him. However, this past week I noticed several small rashes on my body and by the end of the week I had 7! Dr says it's ringworm, probably from Mr. Peanut. I was given a topical medication, but I don't see anything weird on Mr. Peanut (like a bald spot or any bumps). How is ringworm treated on rats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ringworm can be treated topically on rats if you know where the spots are. It can be hard to tell on a rat that has hair. It can also be treated systemically but the medication can be rough on them with icky side effects. Take your boy to the vet for an exam and advice on how to treat. In the meantime change your clothes and wash up after handling him and you will reduce the risk of developing more spots of ringworm.

Also, once he is all better, you should think about getting him a friend to live with!

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:15 PM

he may not have it you can get it from anywhere or anything drs like to blame animals but i agree take him to a vet to double check him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Part of the Pack

doesnt bathing your rats help with ringworm as well?

its also insanely cute

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Part of the Pack

If you've had him 2 months and are just now developing the ringworm, I doubt it's him. You're more likely to pick it up from a source that is outside, so I would blame a dog or cat that goes outside.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
rat, ringworm