My babies are gone - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

My babies are gone

I'm sorry I've been gone for the last few days. We went on vacation and I didn't want to post about it until I got back. I was hoping to come back with lots of ratty pictures from our trip, but instead I have to cry on your shoulders. Since we'd be gone for 10 days, I left my brood in the care of a very capable pair of rat sitters who came to check on them every other day and play with them.

But with the colder temperatures outside, my air conditioning unit temperature gauge on my dinosaur of a thermostat chose this week to malfunction. My rat sitter left the babies on Tuesday morning doing fine, but came back Wednesday afternoon with the house registering close to 95 degrees inside, even though the thermostat had been set for 70 degrees. My three girls in the bottom cage unit were still alive, but Melon, Skinner, Pete, and Zanna, all of who were in the upper two cage units where it was hotter are all gone.

My sitter immediately transferred the three surviving girls to a smaller cage and moved them upstairs where the air conditioning is still working properly, and spent the rest of the evening making sure they were all right and comfortable. One of the sitters' father is a veterinarian who came over and checked on the three girls for her, and also took my lost babies to his office to keep them until I could come home again to take them home and say our farewells.

How does this happen? Why? I'm so sad right now. I'm feeling such guilt, like I should have even foreseen something like this. I also feel terrible for my sitters, who are broken up about it and holding their own guilt. I'm just thankful they were there to save my three. I have left my kids before over three day weekends with extra water and food with no issues. If this trip had been shorter where I might not have arranged a sitter, and had fallen on the days the unit went haywire, I'm sure none of my kids would have survived.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my god Story. I am just stunned beyond belief. I can't believe this. Just seeing you listing Melon, Pete, Skinner and Zanna, all in a row and saying they are gone, from the heat. I am just at a loss for words. So shocked. I know it is not from neglect or anything, of course, and not your fault, but I am just....freaked out and so sad. I just can't believe it.

I wish I knew what to say to you to help you feel better, but I can't think of the words. I am so very, very sorry!

Cry on our shoulders all you want. We are here for you. Just devastated here.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

OH I am so very very sorry! Terrible accidents can happen, and I am so sorry they happened to you and your babies. No guilt for anyone here, just anger, grief and loss... (((hugs)))

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Thank you so much. Both of you. This is so hard. For example, I keep going by the cage expecting Pete to come out to say hello, and it's a hard jerk to reality when it's little Aggs his tiny twin instead. I just snatch her up and hold her close, telling her how glad I am she's still here.

The girls look a little 'poofy' around their back ends. Spaz, is there anything I can do right now specifically to make sure they bounce back well?

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm so sorry Story. I'm so proud of you for feeling terrible for your sitters, where others might blame them. You're strong, courageous, and level-headed, even amidst your heart break. Prayers and well wishes to you and your family, hoping you can eventually find peace and serenity.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Just offer them yummy liquidy foods to get the fluid levels up and to spoil them rotten.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry. So sad. I'm thinking of your babies!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Story,
I have had your lost babies in my thoughts ever since I read your post and I carry your sadness, I really do. I keep wanting to sue the makers of your thermostat or something, and I am giving my two boys extra kisses and hugs and appreciating every second they are with me, as I know you are doing the same with your babies that survived.

It is very cold here in the Seattle area and of course, we have our heat turned on, but I am now of course extra paranoid about making sure the house is comfy but not too hot and knowing that I am just being a bit too ridiculous about worrying over every single degree that the heat goes up or down, but I guess you know what I mean. It's obvious the freak incident with your thermostat scared me to death about my own house, and my own babies. I guess that is natural.

As Shelagh said, spoil your babies rotten (and I know you are) and love them to bits, like you have always done with all of your babies. Again, so sorry. I wish I could convey how sad this is for all of us.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

A P.S. on my last post, Story...

Marc wanted me to convey to you his condolences as well. He has a habit of taking a special shine to certain ratties that I tell him about/show pictures to, and Pete was one of Marc's special buddies.

Marc was so fond of all of your boys from the original Alabama Ghost Boys, and the later additions to your clan, but he especially remembers when I first told him about "Little Black Pete" joining your family and showing him photos, and Marc just took a special shine to Pete. He wanted me to tell you how sad he is about losing your kids. He loved Melon and Skinner so much and he just fell in love with Zanna when I showed him the photos you recently took. Marc sends his love to all of your babies.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

You guys are so wonderful. Thank you, thank you for understanding and your awesome words. I know we all go through good and bad times with our rats, and this has been a really crappy time at our house. The downside to more babies, is there is more to lose. It makes a difference knowing others know how I feel. Shelagh has certainly been there in spades. And it also helps knowing others care about my kids like I do. Vlad and Marc, you guys warm my heart.

Calm lady Zanna and big gentle Pete had lots of folks who love them. And my funky, freaky terrible twosome Melon and Skinner, who I can never mention unless in a unit together they were so inseparable. On the up side, my biggest fear with the two of them is that one would go before the other. I just know I would have so little chance of finding a new friend who was acceptable for the one who lived on. So I knew there was a high chance the survivor would have just faded away from grief. At least this spared them from that and they burst on the scene at the rainbow bridge together, which is as it should be.

I'm so glad too, that Pete didn't have to suffer any more losses, and that he stepped over with a girl who loved him and would take care of him as much as Zanna did.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You are so welcome Story, and it warms MY heart knowing that our sadness about your kids gives you some extra support in going through this. You all did the exact same thing for me when we lost Klausse and Wolfgang. It does help so much knowing others care about your babies and understand how painful it is to lose them.

And you are looking at the good side of things, i.e. Melon and Skinner being together always, and Pete with his beloved at the other side (no doubt going on lots of dates, with num num candlelight dinners and roses) so that is a good thing to think of.

I have said it a million times but I will say it again. We are always here for you and we love you and all your wonderful babies.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Playful Pup

Oh my gosh. Story, I am so so SO sorry to hear about your loss. Hearing about your lost ratties just breaks my heart. *hugs* I'm glad your three girls are alright though, I'm so very happy that they made it.

I just want to give you a huge hug to you and all of your babies, I am so sorry for your loss. Just take it easy for a little while, I hope you'll find some peace in this sad time soon.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Thank you halogen. Lots of hugs to you too. Like I have said, it really does make a difference knowing there are other folks who 'get it' about our rats.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've been busy moving and just read this now. I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your losses . You'll be in my thoughts .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
It's all for them

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry this happened! I am just bawling here. It's like you to worry about the sitters' feelings too, I know they must feel awful. It's no one's fault but I know that doesn't take away the pain. I'm so sorry.

Declawing: please read this first