My baby Meatball's success story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My baby Meatball's success story

I came into the animal room the other night when I came home from work to let my dogs out of their cages. I got a whiff of something coming from the rat cage, and it smelled like one of my rats had died. I immediately thought of Meatball because he's three years old. All of the babies were laying on him and I called his name three times before he finally picked his head up. The whole right side of his face is really swollen. I started crying as soon as I saw it. I just lost one of my other rats and my mouse last week, and it's just too soon to be dealing with the loss of another one, especially the one who started it all. Anyway, I called the vet and paid the emergency fee to take him in at midnight. We found out he has an abscessed tooth. The vet gave him a shot of B12 and prednisone and sent him home with antibiotics. He couldn't eat. I tried to give him baby food via syringe, but it hurt him so bad he just screamed. Then I found this recipe for lab block mush and now he's eating by himself, the swelling is going down, and he's practically back to his old self. So in case you guys have an issue with one of your babies not eating due to a sore mouth or whatever, this may be something for you to try out.

I got lab block, water, a little bit of olive oil, a little bit of vanilla extract, yogurt drops and Nutristat, put it in a blender. Then I got a little bit of the mixture, added some baby food, microwaved it a little bit for about 7 seconds and gave it to him. I keep the extra (without the baby food added) in a gladware container in the refrigerator. I've also read about some people using soy milk instead of water, but I was out.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:38 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

thats a dramatic thing for you to go through hun, I'm glad he is fine now and you can sleep at night knowing he'll be fine
Thanks for the recipe!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Jird Jostler

Well done! BTW I love your rats names =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks. The one that died was a gray and white rex rat named Meatloaf. And my mouse's name was MooCow.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:38 PM

Anyone who names anything "MooCow" is a friend in my book.

That's a sweet story ^_^. Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm actually having issues with an underweight rat right now. He was a bit stressed when I bought him, but is over it now. I'm gonna try the recipe as a treat to see if it helps him gain a bit of weight. Nutristat and baby food are suppose to pack on the oz's, right? I'm sure it'll be yummy if anything.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Wow, glad he is okay. Old rat! Looks like you really treat him great and take excellent care of him.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yes, the Nutristat especially will help pack on the pounds. Yogurt drops helped mine gain weight too, but I'm not sure how healthy they are.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww! I love to hear how much you care for your rats like that!A lot of people think Im nuts for taking my girls to the vet and spending the money, Im glad to know that there are people like me here and Im not nuts for loving my guys so much and spending every penny I have on them. I hope the guy makes a speedy recovery

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's great. We hear to much on this forum about vet visits that didn't go well. I'm very glad he's doing better! There are a lot of great home remedies and recipies for rats. I have a Rat Health Care Guide by Debbie "the rat lady" Ducommen. She puts them out every few years. I use it a lot and recommend it to everyone because it tells you what you can do to provide first aid in an emergency in a lot of situations, it describes the symptoms and signs of various conditions, it lists the antibiotics and other treatments that work best for various conditions so that you know what to ask your vet for, and it tells all kinds of great things to speed the healing process and to make ratties comfortable at home. It probably save my patchy hairless (izzy's) eye a couple of weeks ago. Vets are great, but there are a lot of things we can do for our ratties in the home to help them before and after the vet.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Jird Jostler

That book sounds great, i wonder if they do one for jirds?? i will have to keep my eye out for one. However i thin most first aid for small creatures is common sense, like for example when my two boy jirds got into a fight and jerry ended up without three toes, i just bathed his feet in anti-bacterial water everyday and he soon recovered.

I'm Georgia,
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

That's true. We all know to clean out wounds and use antibiotic ointment, etc. But she goes into the proper way to do a fling without hurting the animal if you notice them choking, she goes into how to properly immobilize the animal for various types of injuries, she tells what to do for various eye conditions and how to get animals eating again. The part that I found the most helpful though was the part about the different antibiotics. Now I can go into the vet and discuss intelligently with him what makes the most sense for the specific symptoms instead of just blindly accepting whatever he gives me and hoping it works. That has made me feel very empowered!

This particular woman only does rat info, but i'm sure people have done similar guides for other small animals. Also, I bet a lot of it would be similar for other small mammals as well.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I actually have one of her books somewhere. She made me really upset though because at the back of the book she talks about at home euthanasia. I tried that for one of my hamsters who had a brain tumor because I didn't have the $50 to do it otherwise and she literally blew up when she was still alive. I wrote her about it and she told me that she doesn't recommend it anymore. She's not my favorite person now. I ended up having a nervous breakdown. Couldn't stop crying for about 2 1/2 weeks and I lost I don't know how much weight because I didn't have an appetite. I was just trying to do what was the best for Winky, and that just wasn't it. Otherwise she does have some interesting info in there.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Jird Jostler

Gosh, i dont think they should publish that in a book!.. But other than that it sounds great.. i maight get a rat one and see if it helps with my jird.

I'm Georgia,
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

With her it's all about what version you have and you have to be really careful. I almost made the mistake of downloading the wrong one. The thing is she's been putting them out for like 20 years or more and all those versions are still floating around somewhere out there. And just like anything else what we know and don't know about what's good for these animals has changed in the last 20 years. Sorry to hear that though, What method was she recommending?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It was a book from a couple years ago. She recommended using CO2 canisters, a trash bag and a trash can. I really don't want to go into details though.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
lab block