My baby is off to a bad start. !Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

My baby is off to a bad start. !Help!

Life story- We moved, I got sad, so, I'm on happy pills now. (Yay! My brain is broken!)
Anyways, the doctor told me that time with my rat would actually be better for me. So. Hence the new baby. I didn't want another rat at first. I mean, I was only allowed one other one (Thats a grand total of two.) and what if he didn't get along with Vinnie? Right? But, I was told rats do very poorly if left alone, and especially with having this 'condition' I wasn't able to spend as much time as I'd like to with my rat, and I freaked, I mean, THATS MY BABY! So, I took a VISIT, I wasn't intending to buy, to the pet store, but I saw a tiny black hooded male, dangling by his tail from the hand of the worker. Grr. So, I made arrangements (I live outta town now, walking home with a rat for a few miles? Not a good idea.) and by the next day I came back, 6.99 + tax in hand. I was told he was hand raised, and that he was not ill, (Yah, I believed that...) and almost the moment I walked in that door (I ACTUALLY had time to take off my boots!) He began sneezing. Okay. I can deal with that. It could have been the bedding in the box. So I changed it. Yay. It worked. For two weeks.
Then about a week ago he began 'whining' in his sleep. I KNOW it is a URI but I have a problem. I can only go in, in about. Oh. I dunno. Two weeks time? -Insert random yelling here- I don't know how to help him until then. The only place with a rat doctor is far, so I need a ride, and a taxi ride with two rats? Nuh-uh. Not here. I moved from a small town. Into a smaller town. I cannot drive, (No licence.) I cannot get a ride 'till the end of the week. (Friend gets licence.) But the thing is the doctor is only in NOW AND THEN. They come from Ottawa, like a few times a month and the only time I can visit is in two weeks time. So my question to you is, is there anything I can do to help him? It's five something A.M right now, and I have school in a few hours, but my rat makes these noises, and thats all I can think about. I give him blankets as bedding, so no dust, clean his dish a few times a day, change his water daily (I don't worry to much about it, it's always bottled.) and try to keep him company. This also gave my other rat, Vinnie, URI, so, I've tried to alternate between the two, but Vinnie hates the other rat, Von (Vonnie.), And Von thinks Vinnie is the white devil, (Eee, just pictured Ace Ventura..-_-) Anyways, The noises he makes are continuing to get louder, and I can't take it any longer, one whines, the other sneezes. They sometimes drawl out and it's enough to give you chills. So, please, please, tell me there is something I can do?!? And it won't kill him?Will it?

P.S-Sorry about the rant and longness, I just wanted to try to detail everything. Also for being gone so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 AM
RAT ADDICT

They need some antibiotics ASAP! Is there anyone who could take you and your rats in to the vet before 2 weeks?

For a bit of temporary relief,you can turn the shower on really hot in the bathroom and put the rats in there for about 10-15 minutes.NOT in the shower of course,but in the bathroom.The hot steam will clear their lungs temporarily.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
They need some antibiotics ASAP! Is there anyone who could take you and your rats in to the vet before 2 weeks?

For a bit of temporary relief,you can turn the shower on really hot in the bathroom and put the rats in there for about 10-15 minutes.NOT in the shower of course,but in the bathroom.The hot steam will clear their lungs temporarily.

If you are going to steam your rats, keep them on your lap or nearby so you can keep an eye on them. Sometimes steaming can make them worse so look for any signs of distress and remove them if you see it. I would only do about 10 minutes in the bathroom.
It will help break up congestion, but if there's fluid in the lungs it'll make them worse.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Adolescent Pup

I feel your pain. I got 5 boys in Feb. 3 days later one bro started with the noises. He took a course of Baytril. Then another got it. I gave him bactrim (had it from a full course at home). Then a few days later..... So I went back to the vet. I had the vet treat all five. I just finished the bactrim (my vet says he has bettr luck with bactrim than baytril--anyway). Hopefully......

But I also started giving the boys echinacea/goldenseal--liquid form. I put one drop on some yummy food (oooh they each got a piece of chocolate chip cookie. one day it was a piece of cheesy quesadilla). I gave it to them once a day for a week. Some ratty parents do it all of the time. I was advised to do it one week a month. Someone on another forum just gives it at first sign of sneezing. I just finished the meds the other day. I think I'll add a drop or two for a couple of days for an extra boost. It can't cure a URI but it is supposed to help boost the immune system.

Also a piece of dark chocolate--about the size of a chocolate chip--is supposed to help ease breathing. Chocolate has caffeine which dialates breathing passages, etc. Plus chocolate--- who can't help feeling better when you eat that

Good luck with your babies. YIKES I hate URI's. They really tick me off.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Use chocolate (dark) in time of respiratory distress, not an every day thing...hehe...no matter how much they like it.
Keep their cage super clean, make sure there's no dust or ammonia at all...lots of fresh water and good food, no drafts, if its cool things to snuggle in to stay warm.
Some rats have "new home sneezies", but the other doesn't sound good, but may not worsen if you care for it as best as you can until you get to the vet.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
black hooded, pet store