My baby rat retracted one of his testicles! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy My baby rat retracted one of his testicles!

Hello everyone! It's been a while. Anyway....

Silence, my albino baby rat retracted just one of his testicles yesterday ... and it's still in his body cavity. So now one is where it ought to be and the other quite visible in his abdomen.

Is this okay? How can I fix it? It's been like that for about a full day! I did call the vet only to be told that this is normal and not to worry about it. How can I not?? None of my other five ratties have ever done that!

Does anyone know what is going on? I've tried looking up info on the web, I've asked another rat forum and I've gotten no replies and no information on this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i have no idea, our horse never dropped one of his and he was fine - still had a baby too.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Will It Ever Change?

Well if the vet said not to worry, then I wouldn't worry. It happens in lots of things

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Kendalle for telling me about your horse and Mulder for helping me feel better. I know the vet told me not to worry but I can't seem to help it. I love the little guy so much!

I just found it odd that it went back up after being in the proper place!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

In young rats it can be fairly common, just watch and see if it comes back. There are two reasons you would be concerned about it. 1. They will retract one or both testicles if they are extremely ill and losing weight (something about conserving heat). And 2. It could be a hernia which may or may not be worth the risk of fixing depending on the size and placement of the hernia. If it doesn't eventually go back or if he does start losing weight or showing signs of pain or illness I would take him in, but in the meantime just watch him close.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for telling me that luvboyrats! Silence still plays and climbs around the cage like a monkey. He plays and wrestles with the older boys. So I don't think he is in pain.

He also isn't losing weight. He is growing and getting bigger! I am still keeping a very close eye on him. His testicle is still up in his body. This is day five I think. I really am trying not to worry.

Maybe he's keeping it safe?