My boys fight a LOT - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation My boys fight a LOT

My boy mice have been fighting a lot lately; the tip of White Stripe's tail is bitten off and one of the agoutis has a large laceration at the base of the tail. I'd post pics, but the computer-cam isn't working. Any ideas on what to do? They have lived together since they were born and they have plenty of room to play in, but they still fight and "assert their dominance" by doing 'stuff' to each other...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

You will either have to seperate them or get a larger cage.Male mice get very territorial.

Male mice often fight,even when they are raised since birth.I fortunatly have been able to raise male littermates succesfully,but it doesn't always work.Since you mentioned that a couple of them have injuries,it is best to separate them.Male mice will even fight to the death in some cases.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I have separated the boy with the lac at the base of the tail, but as we don't have any more cages, I can't move any of the others. It's really odd because most of the time they're asleep curled up together or grooming. When two of them are fighting, they'll get over it within a few minutes and start grooming each other like nothing happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Do you have a big rubbermaid bin? If you don't they're cheap and you could probably use one of those for the time being. Drill holes in the top or cut one big hole in and cover it with mesh.

I currently have a mouse in a rubbermaid bin. He escaped a month or so ago, and we just caught him the other day. Turns out he was a male so we couldn't put him in the cage with the other male (we thought they were both females when we caught the other one)

*Missy*
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I do have one, but it's really small and soaks up urine and feces like a sponge. We use it to house the mice when we're cleaning the cages, too.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have 4 of my mice...Vanilla,Latte,Milkshake and Cupcake in one of them bins,just till they get bigger.They are fine in there.You can poke holes in the top or cut the whole top off and make a mesh lid.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

My boys are full-grown now, and the bin is pretty small. The plastic's cheap, too, so it's hard to put holes in the lid without shattering it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Did you ever seperate them? I saw rubbermaid bins at walmart for $5 last night...the big ones.

*Missy*
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, we put them in the small cage. I don't think they're very happy right now, though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

They'll be okay seperated. Male mice will fight to the death. I have a male mouse all alone, and he still gets play time, so he's okay with that.

*Missy*
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
They'll be okay seperated. Male mice will fight to the death. I have a male mouse all alone, and he still gets play time, so he's okay with that.
Yes,males will fight to the death.They are VERY territorial.Sometimes you can have males together tho,if they are raised from littermates...but even this don't work sometimes.Me,my sister and a couple of other people I know HAVE successfully raised male mice with no problems.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 AM

I currently have a pair of male littermates living together and they get along fine. I could separate them if I needed to though. They are so cute when they curl up on thier wheel together and take a nap!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

littermate males will get along fine then turn on each other unless they have room..and even a desk doesnt always cut it...on solution is to castrate them..its about 15-30 bucks per mouse...works like a charm for me

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

My parents (or my dad, at least) dislike my mice and think of them as a hassle as it is, so I don't think they'd go for $105-$210 just so the mice are happy.

Tags
male mice, males together