Photos! My first rat cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My first rat cage

I built this cage (well, building) the lower level apartment is not complete. The dimensions are 6' x 4' x 18" The very bottom level will have solid doors and be used for storage. Each level is 18" tall and will allow much room for customization.

The walls are covered with white contact paper.
The floors are vinyl tile.
The trap doors, I cut at an angle so that I can just drop the cover into the hole without having to fasten it.

There are 3 rats in there, but they haven't come out much. Just got them today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0009.jpg (29.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0008.jpg (38.9 KB, 21 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Official Loofah Tester

This is a great cage. I've seen a handful of other hand built cages, and this one is right up there!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Here are my girls

Here are my girls. They do not have names yet. Any Suggestions?

They are Black/White, Tan/White, and Grey/White
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black and Tan Girls.jpg (23.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Grey Girl.jpg (22.0 KB, 11 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hmmm...
Just for starters, here's a couple of literary ideas, and a list of goddesses?

3’s In Literature:

Harry Potter:
Student Names: Hermione, Luna, Jenny
Teacher Names: McGonagall, Sprout, Trelawney

Narnia Books:

Lucy, Susan, Jadis (name of the White Witch)

Goddesses:

Egypt:
Isis (Magic and Healing)
Nut (Heaven and Sky)
Nephthys (Death)
Tefnut (Rain and Water)
Naunet (Waters of Creation)
Amaunet (Air)
Neith (War)
Kauket (Darkness)

Greco-Roman
The Eleusinian Mysteries: Persephone, Demeter, Baubo
Aphrodite (Love, Lust, and Beauty)
Atremis (Moon, Fertility, and The Hunt)
Athena (Crafts, Wisdom, War)
Cybele (Mother Earth, Animals)
Eris (Discord and Chaos)
Hera (Family and Marriage)
Hekate (Sorcery, Crossroads, Magic)
Iris (Messenger)
Nike (Victory)
Seline (Original Moon Goddess)
The Three Furies: Alecto, Tisiphone and Megaera

Irish/Welsh:
Brigid (Celtic Triple Goddesss. Poetry, Healing)
Eriu (Matron Goddess of Irleand)
Danu (Mother Goddess)

Germanic/Norse:
Frigg Freyja, Sif (wives of major gods)
Joro (earth) Sol (sun), and Nott (night).

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Cute!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've made some additions

Construction is done on the lower level apartment. Now if these three girls are having drama they can each take a level.

As for names, I was toying with the following:
Miss Use
Miss Treat
Miss Place

I've have been thrown off on the name front as I wanted boys until I found out that boys are no where to be found around here.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Can't get pic to post

Here is my full cage. The very bottom will be for storage so I'm not in a rush to finish it. (put on doors)

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...lyOpenCage.jpg

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

fantastic cage! fancy building me one?

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I wanted to share this a few days ago, but I had misremembered it being a series of pics on a rat site, and not a youtube video.

This is the best homemade rat set up! I want it.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8UDk...eature=related

If the link doesn't work for some reason, then you can search it on youtube under "Martien's Rats and their amazing cage..."

Full of awesomeness!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I figured I'd update this since I haven't done it in a while.

*Clickable Thumbnails*

Cage Jan 2

Cage Jan 15

Cage Jan 23

Cage Feb 2

Cage Feb 7

Cage Feb 18

Cage Feb 28 *Charlotte started to pull off the contact paper to make bedding so I put tiles on the walls.

Cage March 7

Cage March 13

Cage March 20 *The tile I HAD on the walls was very cheap and did not have enough glue, So I replaced it with a better tile.

Last edited by Despereaux; 03-21-2010 at 04:17 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I really like the tile! It gives it a finished look.

I'll say again, I have serious cage envy going on for your set up.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm thinking of making another one this summer. Since the house I was looking at buying fell through, I'll be looking at projects to do around here. I think I'm going to go quite a bit bigger next time. If I do make another one though, I'm not going to rush and I'm going to paint, seal and make it look nice. Not that there are any problems with this one, just some things I'd like to improve on. I also want to dog proof the lower levels better so that I can move the darn chairs from the front of it. He likes to look at them and he fusses at them when they wrestle with each other. The problem is that when he pushes his nose against it now, he pushes the screen out of the doors and I have to repair. I keep the chairs there so that I don't have to worry about any escaping rats.

I'm taking notes on the things that I would like to change so that when I do make another cage, it can be super awesome.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I've got second hand R685 in my basement right now that needs some refurbishing, and with it I've also got a Super Pet FerreTrail Funnel Home 3-Level, which has the same dimensions as the R685, and I'm wondering if I can't mickey mouse them together in some way and create a super wide set up. If I could, the footprint would be 30" x 36" (or 60" x 18" ). I think I'd zip tie it so I could break it down for cleaning, but hmmm.... might be doable. I'm all for the creative engineering.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Absolutely. I have to say that having a cage with all that extra room, it's interesting to see them work and "use" that room creatively. for example: my girls choose a different place to sleep each night. It's kinda funny.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

That is a nice cage. I cant wait till this summer to make the extra cash to make my own cages. Not that I dont have cages now but I want to litraly build my own with my own 2 hands. I have plans drawn up but the more cool cages I keep seeing the more I keep changing them. lol I love the youtube one. I tihink Tattoie is the only one of my rats besides Luke her son that will stick around the house or at lest one area. lol.
I would love to some day have 2 rooms for the rats 1 for the girls one for the boys so I can go in and be play with them.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.