My Meeces :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

My Meeces :D

The neglectful young owner I got these critters from is someone I have been dealing with for awhile. Even though I am a rat rescuer, I cannot let these tiny little creatures suffer and not take them in.

The first time was a kijiji ad for a hamster that had been dumped on her by a friend but it was sick, and didn't move much, and she wasn't able to take care of it. I went 1.5 hours out of my way after work that day and picked up Simon, the little disabled, sickly dwarf, and a sick mouse she had (she was breeding them :/). Simon was a real mess, but since I had never had hamsters before I was unsure of what to do for him. His eyes were crusted shut, he was tiny, skinny, his hind legs were messed up. I did give him rehydration formula from a syringe, and I also fed him Emeraid diet (a special diet I got from my vet for one of my rescue rats). With some fluids on board, the little hamster livened up. He was unable to walk more than a step before falling down, but it never seemed to get him down, such a brave wonderful little boy. I took him and the sick mouse girl Maggie to the vet in the morning after giving them a headsup that I was bringing them in and had no clue what we would be dealing with.

Simon

Maggie mouse seemed to have a head tilt or a twisted neck, mucky eyes, and a hump in her upper spine. I was told the girl had come home during the summer and "found her messed up" She was an amazing little girl, loved people and you could tell she was thrilled with her first wheel, her cage she could climb and hammocks LOL

I took them in to the vet and during the day while anxiously waiting to hear how these poor babies did, I got calls one after the other from the 2 vet techs, Michelle wanted to adopt Maggie, and Amy wanted to adopt Simon. So they went home to their new owners who took care of their many medical issues. Simon unfortunately only lived a few more months and Maggie also passed about 1.5 weeks ago but they were LOVED when they were here .

3 weeks later I get another email from this girl asking if I could take in a mouse boy who was scratching his ear off and in bad shape. So off I went down there again (3 hour round trip) to a bad part of town. This time I picked up Brutus, and Dashi...she didn't want to give up Dashi, but Dashi had a bad URI and was going to die. The girl could barely afford to buy bedding and cheap food, much less afford a vet. They both got dosed with metacam, Dashi started antibiotics, and Brutus got metacam for pain.
Brutus had mites so badly that he HAD scratched off a good chunk of his ear, and part was dried and dead. Brutus went to the vet that morning, and Michelle called asking to adopt him. She would keep him at the clinic, have him neutered and introduce him back to his daughter Maggie. Brutus's ear was debrided and everything went to plan and he was also renamed Loki.

Brutus didn't care about any pain, he had his first wheel and wanted to RUN

Dashi...she was the mother to all 3 litters in a short time. Dashi was incredibly special to me. She was amazing, she was sweet, gentle, loved me and hands, and would cheek tip for me. *heart* When she developed a large abdominal tumour after we beat her URI and passed I was devastated.

I call this smooshy mouse

and a short vid of her cheek tip

Cont'd in next post....

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Then just over 2 months pass and yet another email from the girl. She has to get rid of ALL her animals. She finally realized she is unable to care for them properly, and is not as responsible as she should be. She went away for the weekend, and her drunk/stoned father decided to put the cages in the garage for 1/2 a day (huh??) but fell over his girlfriend and dropped the cages. So there were some injuries, and URI's and Belle the dwarf ham (whose story is in the Health section).

I ended up with 4 mice and 1 hamster...Belle was kept at the vet clinic and my vet took her in, will do her eye removal surgery and she will go home with one of the employees. The 2 little girl mice went home to Michelle yesterday morning to keep sad Loki company now that he lost his Maggie.

Belle

Mouse girls

and now I still have Stuart the little pink eyed white boy, who has a URI, and injured and bitey Dudley-do-Bite (he was nameless when I got him). Stuart is awesome, just like his mom Dashi.

He smooshes beautifully and cheek tips like a pro LOL

and Dudley, who bit me really good our first time.

I realized he was absolutely terrified of hands so this week I started working with him. And we had a lovely breakthrough last night. I got him to crawl onto my arm and then went over to the chair and let him run and explore. He would cuddle down into my arm

"Why did you stop patting me?"

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

and finally Cozy Corner (Thanks Nic and Jo!!) sent my tiny micemen some specially made hammocks. They got them in their cages today. I will tell you that mice really USE the whole hammock, they don't just go in or on...they climb all over it, using it as a ladder, jungle gym, and cuddly home. :thumbup:

Dudley first...he's sooo good now! He doesn't nip, I can scoop him up now, and he loooves kisses. He is now just Dudley, not Dudley-Do-Bite any longer He's definitely a boy mouse and smells like shrimp (I hate shrimp, but for some reason it doesn't bother me when its attached to this cute little man). I am not happy with his cage, its too small and not high enough but until I find him a better one (more like Stuarts) then it will have to do. I had to rig up a shelf for his cage and he got a tiny cube that still looked huge when he was on/in it LOL

He is a very happy mouse...he comes when I say his name, and bounces...not a scared bone in his body now

Then there's lovely almost no-smell Stuart. Soft and sweet and brave as all get out.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Minecraft Mouse

They are so cute!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Minecraft Mouse

Spaz, I have a question for you, have you ever had a mouse have babies, and then like 2 weeks later she dies? well that happened to me last night. She left me 11 babie mice who are 2 weeks old. Can you or some one please help me?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Shelagh, your leetle meeces are just precious and 120 percent adorable, and sooo lucky to be with you! The photos are just so sweet, I just melted....and Dashi, our sweet momma, I know how special she was to you. Her photos just reduced me to a pile of mush.

I loved loved loved the photos of each and every one of your special little wee ones and I hope to see more. I want to pop them all in my mouth!

P.S. I LOVED the video!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodilizer8 View Post
Spaz, I have a question for you, have you ever had a mouse have babies, and then like 2 weeks later she dies? well that happened to me last night. She left me 11 babie mice who are 2 weeks old. Can you or some one please help me?
I am so very sorry, and no I have never had this happen with mice. At this point with baby mice you are going to have to hand-rear or find a foster mouse mom.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They are all adorable!! (And I have to say, I chuckled at the nickname "Almost-no-smell". hehehehehe)

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)