My Mice 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My Mice 3

Here is the newest update on my mice. As some of you may know 8 days ago at a local Petco I got to mice Sebastian & Asuna. I made a My Mice 2.0 yesterday but a lot has happened like Sebastian dying . So now I have two new mice that are both albino.

Sebastian (Sazzy)- Dead

Asuna (Azzy)- A cute black short haired mouse

Artemis (The Azz) - An albino doe who loves the wheel

Demeter (Dazzy) - An albino doe who also loves the wheel

Proud owner of 3 Mice: Artemis, Demeter and Asuna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP Sebastian Be at peace little one
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

WHOA....I am sorry, I have not seen your newest posts...I had no idea Sebastian died!! I thought he was better and doing great during the weekend?? What happened?

I will check your other posts in case I missed some updates.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I thought he was doing well but I woke up yesterday and he was dead by the waterbottle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Artemis and Demeter are hurting Asuna so I am giving them away

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am so sorry about Sebastian. I thought he was getting better.

Two of your new girl mice are hurting Asuna, correct?

When you get new mice (or any small animals) that are not familiar with your current mouse, you can't just put new mice in with Asuna right away, as their smells will be unfamiliar to each other and they can fight, etc. You need to do gradual introductions and let the new mice and Asuna get familiar with each slowly, so you can integrate all three of them together.

Having your new mice separated by a screen or something where they can see and smell Asuna but not touch her, will give all three of your mice a chance to "get to know one another" and become comfortable. If you keep bringing new mice home and try to just put them together right away with Asuna, you will just keep experiencing the same problem over and over. You should not have to give away your new mice. They just all need time to get to know each other. Under your supervision and gradual introduction sessions so that you know Asuna is safe from any fighting, they can get to know each other, and THEN, when you see that they are getting along a lot better, you can see how it goes with all three of them together.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Last edited by Vladina; 06-12-2013 at 01:56 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I agree. This is very much a fixable problem for you, so you don't have to panic. (This I know a little more about than health issues )

Most of the time, you'll have scuffling and chasing going on when new mice are introduced. They have to go through it to establish dominance pecking order. As long as there is no blood, let them work it out. I had pecking order scuffles all the time.

I only had a serious problem with one of my mice where blood was involved. She was younger than the rest and I put her in the cage with the established colony who'd scent claimed the area. They chewed her butt bloody.

She was in shock and was bitten severely and had spent the night perched precariously on a ladder because that was the only place they didn't chase her. I was so ignorant at the time.

So, I separated her until she healed and grew a little bigger.

This is what I did next and it seemed to work.

I rubbed her in the urine soaked bedding from the main cage so she would smell like the other mice.

Then I rubbed the other mice in her urine soaked bedding so that they smelled like her.

Then I went a step further and blended the dirty beddings form both cages so that the territories of both cages smelled like everyone.

After they had a night to get used to the concept, and get used to the new smells, I then emptied out the main cage, cleaned it within an inch of its life to remove all traces of scent that I could, and put down new bedding. In this new neutral territory I re-introduced my butt-bitten girl and watched them carefully.

Now that she was bigger, the first thing she did was run roughshod through the entire cage scuffling with, dominance pinning, and peeing on everyone until she'd proven that she was the top mouse in the cage.

There were no problems after that.

First you need to make doubly, triply, sure that what you have are 3 does, and not some kind of combination of male/female. Any males, you will want to separate and keep by themselves in a single cage. Males kill other males, and breed out of control with females. Problems I'm sure you don't want to deal with.

If it's just pecking order scuffles, let them work it out. Keep an eye on them in case blood occurs. If it does, remove the victim.

If my above story doesn't work for you, try introducing them slowly over a few days one at a time to each other in different combinations. You may figure out that if one accepts Asuna, the other one will fall in line.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 06-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahh, thank you Storyseeker!

ZincMice, Story has lots of experience with introducing lil critters to each other and I have NO experience...just the few bits of general information I have soaked up by reading other posts on the subject, so I thank Story for jumping in on this and giving you excellent introduction info and advice.

Thanks Story!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yes thanks story

Ok I will try what you guys have said.

Thanks

Z-mice

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Please keep us updated!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, please do!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith