My Mother Mouse escaped cage!!! HELP!!! babies will die - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy My Mother Mouse escaped cage!!! HELP!!! babies will die

My mouse had babies about 3 or 4 days ago.. I put her in a large tub I didn't think she would be able to escape for pregnancy.. she never even tried.. well.. she did ... I believe she had to within the last 15 hours. the babies are still alive, squeaking and moving.. How can I catch her if she is still in room!?!? I have the babies on the floor *in the bottom part of a petco mouse cage* without the top part on next to a book so she can stand on it and get to her babies if she hears them squeaking or something.. Is there anything else I can do to save them!? I have a male mouse in a seperate cage.. should I put babies with him to keep them warm - he is the father .. and is there any way I can feed them? What can be done.. I'm panicking and crying. They are my pets and nothing else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't know for sure, but I can give you the best advice I have on the spot until someone else comes along.. http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/orph...fm#handraising

This was the site I followed when I cared for my orphaned Deer Mouse. I fed him every 2 hours, including at night, and massaged his belly gently before and after eating with a Q-tip so he'd eliminate. And I made sure to clean off his face since they wiggle around so much and he'd jerk his face into the formula and get his nose and mouth all covered with it.

I wouldn't suggest putting them in with dad, just make sure they've got a lot of nesting material, and put a heating pad set on real low underneath the cage.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thank you . I reallly really hope that the mother finds her way back to the pups and hasn't escaped.. outside.. I'm really dreading what is to come.. and very upset with myself.. I almost moved her to another cage last night and I should have! I'm completely beating myself up for not doing so.. and unfortunately I don't get my next check until the first and my boyfriend doesn't care about the mice whatsoever. .. barely me, even so he won't help! The heating pad, can do! Transportation, Can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I will also need to know what to do if there is no ...other choice.. if I can't afford the formula til the first which is in 3 days.. I know they won't last that long.. so what would be the best thing to do. how long should I wait for the mother to come back to the pups and if she doesn't.. do I just let them starve to death.. I can't do that.. it will scar me for life.. I'm already in a panic and I have really bad anxiety so this entire situation is terrible and heart breaking.. and its my fault.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Unhappy

: !!!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Just a regular needle-less syringe will work for feeding. They don't need the tube. When you express the formula down the syringe, leave a bubble at the tip, and gently tap that onto the baby's mouth, they'll suck it up like that,

Listen, things happen. The only time you should ever feel guilty is if you don't do anything about it. As long as you try, that's the best you can do.

You should be able to find KMR kitten formula at any large-chain pet store. Get the powder, though. Because it does need to be diluted more than it is for a kitten. I've never fed with almond milk, but it's a good choice regardless if you have no other options. If you can better afford almond milk, totally get that! They could totally make-do with almond milk until you could afford the KMR, if that's the case.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The closest pet store is in Beaumont.. I can't make it there today.. and something needs to be done today.. is there anything at walmart I can use until I can get to the petstore in 3 days? I'm going to try and sweetalk my bf into buying it for me tonight.. Almond milk.. is that kitten formula? Can i get it at wallmart?
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well hes telling me that he can set something up to catch her and that we don't need to get the formula .. freaking smart ***..
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

if there is a forumla I can get at walmart it would be very appriciated if anyone can tell me what to get..
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You should be able to. Heck, you may even be able to find KMR at Walmart! Go to Walmart, then. Check out their pet section and see what kitten formulas they have. KMR is by far the best, but if Walmart sells another type of kitten formula, you'll have to go with that out of desperation. And if Walmart has no kitten formulas available which..I have a hard time believing, then they should carry almond milk and you can use that until you could get KMR.
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Walmart has kitten formula thank god.. I will check for almond milk too
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Okay,
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

does KMR stand for something or will it say KMR on the box?
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It'll look like this : http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/1...kittenmilk.jpg

It'll say : PetAg KMR
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

and how much longer do I have until they die... I can't go right this second.. not for the next few hours

Tags
babies, escape, mother, mouse, pregnant