My mouse has a tumor... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy My mouse has a tumor...

I went to change the water on my mice today and found one of them has a huge tumor. she's normally very timid and stays in her bed unless she's out for food or water... much unlike her daughter who is usually found hanging upside down from the cage.

As i dont see her out very much I dont know how long it has been there. its absolutely huge soing down her left side from front foot to back. she is still eating and drinking and it doesnt seem painful when i touch it.

I really cant afford any vet bills at all and dunno what to do. she is about 2 / 2.5 years old. she's an albino so normally has really bright red eyes but they have gone really dull now as well.

am i going to have to bite the bullet and just let her live out her days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

can nobody help???
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry, I have no experience with mice with tumors. It could be a mammary tumor which is very common in mice and rats. She's an old mouse though, so she probably wouldn't make it through a surgery to remove it.

Hopefully someone else can give you a little bit more advice.
Best wishes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Koj
Newborn Pup

Sorry to hear that.
I've never had mice, but I did have a rat that got a tumor. It couldn't be removed thanks to several complications. It looked awful, but she wasn't in pain for a long time, and acted as she normally did. After awhile she refused to eat and wouldn't come out of her box, so she basically let us know when she was ready to go.

You'll have to decide what's best for your mouse. If she's in a lot of pain and you can't afford to get it removed, or it just can't be removed because of her age or other reasons, it might be time for her to go. But if she's not, try to make the time she has left as enjoyable as possible for both of you. It would be great if it could be removed without harming the mouse, but would probably be very expensive to remove a large tumor from such a small animal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Try giving her walnuts as her part of her daily feed. Walnuts have been proven to reduce the growth of breast cancer in mice.

http://www.walnuts.org/walnuts/index...cancer-tumors/

That's only one of many links that say that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hey, thanks for the responses guys and apologies for the delay in an update. unfortunately she passed on before we got to try the walnuts. My partner was there when it happened and doesnt think she was in too much pain.

thanks again for all the advice though.

Tags
mouse, tumor