my mouse was pregnant, now shes not, but she didnt give birth:S:S - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminstaffs View Post
I find it weird that you are breeding animals that you are supposed to be rescuing aren't you just adding to the unwanted
I had that question also.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 AM

Jessica and I have had some lengthy conversations about breeding ethics and I think she is still a bit confused on the whole topic. This Jessica is exactly my point if you recued this mouse she should have never been bred. Like I said you have no idea what she has already been through and just because the person said they bred her three times (which is already alot) that sould have very well been a lie. Do you even know how old she is? I am assuming you have no pedigree info on her and therefore have no clue whether or not she has a good genetic bloodline. I really think you should choose whether you want to be a rescuer or a breeder. If you choose to be a breeder, then you need to do some research and start off with healthy PEDIGREE animals. If you want to be a rescuer I think that is wonederful, but you can't also perpetuate the homeless, badly bred rodent (or any animal) problem. Also I noticed you had another thread where you said because of needing to spend excessive amounts of money on ER vet visits you can now not even afford an aquarium for an escaping mouse. So I'm, wondering why would you choose to breed in a time of such financial strain? What would have you done if she had needed an emergency vet visit due to labor complications? What are you going to do if something goes wrong with her or the babies and they nee to be seen? I am truly not trying to be rude but I must be realistic, please worry about the aniamls you already have before bringing more animals into this worl that you cannot care for. I have seen this happen many times before. People mean well but end up getting in over there head. Then those precious lives you were trying to save end up euthed at a local shelter where you have been forced to dump them because you can no longer care for them. Bottom line is if you truly love these aniamls then become art of the solution NOT the problem!
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
The Title Fairy Was Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLovesRats View Post
Jessica and I have had some lengthy conversations about breeding ethics and I think she is still a bit confused on the whole topic. This Jessica is exactly my point if you recued this mouse she should have never been bred. Like I said you have no idea what she has already been through and just because the person said they bred her three times (which is already alot) that sould have very well been a lie. Do you even know how old she is? I am assuming you have no pedigree info on her and therefore have no clue whether or not she has a good genetic bloodline. I really think you should choose whether you want to be a rescuer or a breeder. If you choose to be a breeder, then you need to do some research and start off with healthy PEDIGREE animals. If you want to be a rescuer I think that is wonederful, but you can't also perpetuate the homeless, badly bred rodent (or any animal) problem. Also I noticed you had another thread where you said because of needing to spend excessive amounts of money on ER vet visits you can now not even afford an aquarium for an escaping mouse. So I'm, wondering why would you choose to breed in a time of such financial strain? What would have you done if she had needed an emergency vet visit due to labor complications? What are you going to do if something goes wrong with her or the babies and they nee to be seen? I am truly not trying to be rude but I must be realistic, please worry about the aniamls you already have before bringing more animals into this worl that you cannot care for. I have seen this happen many times before. People mean well but end up getting in over there head. Then those precious lives you were trying to save end up euthed at a local shelter where you have been forced to dump them because you can no longer care for them. Bottom line is if you truly love these aniamls then become art of the solution NOT the problem!
very good post i agree with everything you have said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come see more of my fur babies at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Okay here i go again. Im sorry if i get a little over defensive in what im about to say but, I breed my animals for temperment and genetic backround. I am a responsible breeder. My animals will go to homes were i will be checking up on them until their very last breath. If the owner of one of the animals i have rescued or bred and found a home for decides they are unable to care for the animal anymore they HAVE to give the animal back to me! Its in the contract. I know that my animals are going to great homes and if it doesnt work out with that particular home i get to choose where the next homes will be. The Animals that i rescue are animals that were "Accidents" . They were conceived because somebody didnt spay their animal and also didnt intend on breeding it Therefore when it came into heat it became pregnant by getting out of someones back yard or they left males and female in the cage together and didnt ccare. When the babies are born the owner of the female animal gives the Babies away to home and dont care if it is a good home or not. I end up having to take the animal because of neglect or they just didnt want it anymore. Or another "responsible" breeder that do in fact breed purebreds, Sell the dogs off just for the sake of it and to get a bit of extra cash. That is why most of my animals end up with me. At least when im breeding animals i CAREFULLY choose whcih animals i am breedign and every breeding animal i have has a genetic backround that is great and they have good traits that they will pass on to their babies. DONT tell me that i am adding to the problem, i am breeding to make the species better. Weather its dogs or mice or rats. Their is ALWAYS room for improvment.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

And the rescued mouse i have. I do have her genetic backround now. The man i got her from Got her from a breeder in my area, he knows what hes doing SHe has a GREAT backround. The man i got her from lied about everything to get her. I think that the man i got her from For lack of a better word "ruined" her but breeding her so early.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Look I don't want to turn this into an unpleasant argument but you contradict yourself ALOT. First if the mouse was "ruined" why breed her again? Also there is NO way you are breeding for health or temperment if you do not have pedigree papers (atleast 3rd gen as I have said), and you have admitted several times in different places that all of the animals DO NOT have papers. Therefore you really have no clue what you are breeding for. It dosn't matter how pretty or well tempered the parents are if they have genetics problems so will the babies. Also again by your own admission you are not in a good place financially to be doing this. I know you have the very best of intentions and I know you love your animals very much, I NEVER doubt that, but you are without a doubt getting in over your head, whether you can see it or not. That is the problem hun, people don't realize they have bit off more than they can chew until it's too late!! The lucky ones have people who care to warn and guide them to do the right thing, BEFORE it's too late. That's why I or we are saying these things, not to be mean but because we trult care. I think what you are doing is wonderful! You have helped alot of animals find homes, you have brought them back from the brink of death! That is what you are good at! So why not focus on that for now, instead of trying to multitask and possibly losing yourself in the process?
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

well i thought rescuing an animal needs your getting it away from the neglect and breeding but your not, your just doing what other people were doing and god your supposed to be a vet FFS

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

Okay if your breeding an animal that had been ruined,then that is not responsible.

You need to understand genes,at least basically before you even give breeding a try.It also helps if you have a mentor at first to show you the ropes.Honestly I do not believe you are "bettering" the animals.

I also agree.
If you wanna rescue,then focus on rescuing.

Tags
emergency vet, local shelter, reputable breeder, vet visit, vet visits