my mouse was pregnant, now shes not, but she didnt give birth:S:S - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy my mouse was pregnant, now shes not, but she didnt give birth:S:S

Hello, my mouse was pregnant for about 1.5 weeks, then her belly started to shrink up again what happened to my little mouslets? im very worried taht if she gets pregnant again it will happen again,and i dont een know what happened?:S:S im so confused. help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

Either she went thru a false pregnancy or had a miscarriage.Or she could of just been fat.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 PM

If it happens again I woulnt try it a third time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:11 AM
laugh often

she may not be a good mother naturally. Do you know her genetic background or history? Mice are usually great mothers. Sometimes it just takes a few times to get the mommy thing down though. If you were positive she was pregger then she prob. consumed the litter. Thats in normal though esp. for first time moms. How old is she?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

she was born in early november, but she wasnt a first time mom, she ahd 3 litters before this.And i know for a fact that she didnt eat them because her belly went away gradually, somebody told me this morning that she may have lost the babies and they could have absorbed into her body..can that be true?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM

yes, I had a guineapig who used to absorb her litters, constantly. Its a stress thing
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
laugh often

mice lose their pregger fat slowly.thats why it gradually went away. babies just dont dissapear. If shes had three litters and was born in nov. then she was too young for at least the 1st 2 litters which could've caused her to die. Why would you be tring to breed an animal so young?

1 Cat- Luna
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

This was my first time breeding her, i just got her and three other mice from a man that was breeding them constantly to feed his snake and they were about to be killed and fed to a snake before i took them in.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
laugh often

hmm. ok. Well if she hasn't had any luck with the first few litters I wouldn't breed her again. theres a chances she may not have good genes. and feeder mice shouldn't be bred ig we don't know the genetic history. The reason for that is because that from inbreeding or just breeding a mouse that has a few allergies disease etc. can only help make thedisorders more dominant in offspring. if you truly want to breed you can find a reputable breeder in your area and after enough research and such you can be a great breeder that is here to help ou tin the better nautre ofthe animal. I know most poielpe have no clue that there is potential harm in breeding feeder mice. I hope I didn't sound to mean but this wa the only way I can explain it.

1 Cat- Luna
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:57 AM

I completely agree with Mousey, I think it's a very bad idea to breed her. I mean you really don't know what she could have been through before you got her. You never know if she will even survive yet another pregnancy especially when she was way too young the first times. So if you truly love her why not just give her a break let her live out her life happy and comfortable and pregnancy free?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Well, I removed her from the cage with the male in it 3 weeks ago and gave her her own cage. To my suprise she had already gotten pregnant again and i noticed this a week ago. Thankfull she gave birth to 4 beautiful little babies this morning! even though this pregnancy worked out i dont think i am going to breed her again. Even though she has a very good temperment and will pass that trait to her pups I think it would be best if i retired her. this pregnancy was COMPLETELY accidental and it is the one that worked out. Its funnny how things work out in life.lol. ill keep everybody updated!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay mouseys!! i'm glad she made it through being prego, but you're right it's best if she retires. see how her babies grow up, you can always try with one of those, but she needs to retire for sure. glad she made it through okay. can't wait for baby pics!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 AM

Oh my well best of luck with the new babies. I hope they are all healthy. Can't wait to see pics! I'm glad your making the mature deciscion to retire her, I'm sure she will be happy about it LOL!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Lol. Yea she will be. She is doing such a great job as a mom. She gave birth to one still born and she wouldnt eat it(my other mice do eat still borns) she kept pulling it in close to her to keep it warm. I removed it from the cage and she was looking for it all day. i hope i didnt stress her out to much! The other four of them seem very healthy. They are accually geting big for their age. I will post pictures when i feel i can disturb her nest witout stressing her out to much!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

I find it weird that you are breeding animals that you are supposed to be rescuing aren't you just adding to the unwanted

Come see more of my fur babies at

Tags
emergency vet, local shelter, reputable breeder, vet visit, vet visits