Photos! My Multi-Mammate mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

My Multi-Mammate mice

I haven't yet seen these mentioned on this site, so if your not sure what they are, multi-mammate mice are like the missing link between mice and rats, they are much larger than a mouse yet smaller than a rat, they carry both characteristics of mice and rats, they aren't as finicky or hyperactive as mice and live each day as it comes, they can be very loving and playful if handled from young, and love to laze around like rats. They are also extremely social animals, and can be kept in large colonies, but don't do well at all on their own, they become depressed and lonely which can result in death. Some people even raise a young multi with a mouse, rat or gerbil and they've been known to live their life out with a different species cagemate with no problems at all, i only have 1 multi that lives in a different species colony, due to her mother rejecting her, she was half the size of a normal pinky and i knew she would die, so i introduced her to a mouse colony who also had newly born pinkies, and they took her in with no problems, she is a beautiful adult multi now and still lives with the mice, shes still slightly smaller than average, but very healthy all the same

They get their name because their average litter is almost double that of a mouse or rat, they have more nipples than your average rodent and for that reason are used in laboratories and for livefood breeding usually.
The only thing you must consider when taking on a multi is that they are escape artists and great chewers, you cannot keep them in a plastic tank as they will chew out and they even chew through some meshes, so a metal cage or glass tank is required with a secure lid! you may notice in my pics some are in plastic tanks, but they are going to be changed next week for the very reason they now have holes in the bottom which i have had to patch with wire mesh

anyway enough babbling, here they are!

Last edited by Velvet_Meece; 01-24-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Lazy days with the multi's, they love hudling in wheels, but in the end they will dismantle them and use them for whatever they wish, like putting them on their side and raising babies in them!

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Favourite pass time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh my! They are breath-taking! I absolutely love the brown and white ones! Those are my fav. pics so far!! Once again, thank you so much for sharing them with us!!! You are so lucky!
I have never heard of this type before but....
I WANT SOME, I WANT SOME, I WANT SOME

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It seems that these little critters are known by several different names, including natal rat, natal multimammate rat/mouse, common African rat, and African soft-furred rat. We have talked about them a couple of times here, calling them soft-furred rats. They are in the same Family as rats and mice (Muridae), but are of a different Genus and Species (Mastomys natalensis), if anyone cares about their scientific classification.

Anyway, yours are super cute, and they do look like their fur is quite soft! Thanks for sharing, I have been interested in learning about them for a while.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ahh makes sense, i'd only heard of them being called Natal rats or Multi's, either way they are great.
I like the fact they don't smell at all and they are neither nocturnal or diurnal, they just come out at all hours
Never heard of them being called Soft-furred rats, but come to think of it, their fur is a lot softer than any mouse or rat! also quite bushy particularly this time of the year they have their winter coats on
I always think the babies look like baby pandas
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Adolescent Pup

Omg, you have the cutest little animals!

RIP Stephen<3

Proud mommy of;;
Bailey&&Cesar(Dogs),
Tinkerbell&&Sky(fancy budgies),
Koopa&&Umpa Lumpa(Red ear slider turtles),
Tiger(Cat fish),
Miley, Snickers, Mars,&&Baby(Mice)
Piglet(Guinea pig)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Jird Jostler

Awwwww... They are gorgeous.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Wow they are gorgeous! can i ask one question, do like fancy mice make good pets? just thought i would ask you because you seem so knowledgeable about them! x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Fancy mice as in coats/colours on ordinary mice?
Or fancy as in different types of mice i.e. Spiny, striped grass, multi's etc??
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

sorry, i meant ordinary mice

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

They make lovely pets as long as they are bred from good stock (friendly) as like any animal and aggressive trait can be passed on to the young.
That put aside they are great, maybe not a loving as a rat, they are more finicky and look after themselves very well. Though i did have one many moons ago that used to climb up my arm from her cage and sit on my shoulder and i would walk around with her there, she enjoyed being out

They can also be quite fun to play with, mice in the wild if they find a good feeding area, the distance they travel from nest to food, they use the exact same root every time, from the tiniest stone the stand on , and domestic mice are very much the same, and you can use this to make what appears to be a mouse agility, if you have the time and patience of course! theres a great example here, but obviously a smaller scale would be easier

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=txq_BogA1NM

the only down side to keeping a mouse is you get very attatched, very quickly, and theres always that niggling remeberance in the back of your mind that they do only live 12-18months, and sometimes less so in albino mice, its such a shame...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I loved these pics they are amazing!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Part of the Pack

thay are so sute! And they seem like a very interesting animal, mischevious and smart. How many do you have?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have 4 colonies at the moment, though one is sold, each consists of about 6 individual adults, they produce around 40 babies a month this time of year between them and around 60-70 in the summer months

Tags
mice, multi-mammate, rats