My new boys<3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

My new boys<3

My beloved almost 2yr old rat josie passed away recently. I was so sad. I got my first male rats and I am very happy with them! Their names are Douglas and Seymour. They are much more cuddly than my hyper female. I plan to train them to do tricks! Any tips? I appreciate it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

congrats on the new ratties and sorry about your rattie josie...*hugs*
It will probably be harder to train males as you may already know, because they are far more laid back than females. If I were you I'd start by teaching them their names and as thats generally quite an easy task, try litter training them at the same time- that can be a bit difficult but move the litter tray to where they wee if they don't use it, mine only poo in theres..lol! I would also teach them the word 'no' as that can help in some situations, like I say no to rayray when he wants to go down my top, only because he has very sharp nails. other then that you can teach them all sorts of tricks. If I were you I'd wait to get to know my rats, than once you get to know their habits like maybe jumping for example, you can use that hobbie of his to make it into a trick. one of my rats chaces string and stuff like that lol! good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. How would you teach your rat no? ( i know I sound clueless lol.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 PM

Congrats! I like the names you picked out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks. Just started clicker training them today. no tricks, but ya' know, click, treat. click, treat, and so on. LOL.

Tags
clicker training, litter train, litter training, litter tray, male rat, male rats