My New and Final Setup - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My New and Final Setup

As some of you know, I've been recently working towards having an "open cage," slowly giving my rats more freedom as I let them progress to being free-roam. My other conflict, while doing this, was to give them a lot of space while at the same time being able to sit and work at the same desk on which they resided. Sooo, I finally figured out a way to do that. The rats are really enjoying the new setup thus far.

Evolution of the Open Cage:

At first...letting the rats get used to it used this very simple setup:

Next...I bought some cube organizers as intended and created a little jungle gym for them...but it was difficult doing work on the table at the same time since it took up so much space:

Aaand after much thinking, I decided on this as my final setup -- creating a makeshift hutch out of the cubes(yes, it's stable):

They are litter trained for the most part, so I'm not really worried about poop everywhere. Wouldn't really be too hard to clean anyways. And of course, while I'm gone, the laptop is placed on an adjacent table so they don't mess with it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:30 AM
Playful Pup

Thats Kewl I'm trying to figure out something for my rattie because shes kindof grown out of her cage... i wanna make A really fun and BIG cage for her. If you have any ideas that would be AWESOME!!!!
thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muffin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dutchess

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Playful Pup

Thats Awesome I've been trying to think of a way to make a new cage because my rattie has grown out of her old one! I think makeing a cage is so much cheaper (Cages are EXPENCIVE!(sp?)) I'm just not that cieative. What you did looks like Major fun for your ratties!

Muffin

Dutchess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

That looks pretty good. I bet they love it! To be able to be close to you while you're working. I looked around here for those cubes and so far have had no luck. So, Im build a cage out of stainless steel refrigeration racking.

Kila The Rat Faced Girl & Baby Cheyenne

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Looks very fun!

Yeah if you left the laptop there while you were gone they might get onto your pc and watch bad stuff their little ratty eyes shouldnt see!

Now get a pic for us with the ratties enjoying it while you work at the desk
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Oily Chickenspew

lol. cute setup!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Looks awesome!

All I would say is to make sure you do watch them when your computer is there...I had an incident once with one of my sisters pets mistaking my keyboard for the litterbox...Lol, I told the tech people that someone in lab spilled something on my computer, because I really didn't want to tell them it was really pee

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:15 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

looks good

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain
Looks awesome!

All I would say is to make sure you do watch them when your computer is there...I had an incident once with one of my sisters pets mistaking my keyboard for the litterbox...Lol, I told the tech people that someone in lab spilled something on my computer, because I really didn't want to tell them it was really pee
Hahah yeah definitely, if I'm not there the laptop won't be on that desk. I also put that mat on the floor right above the laptop so if they poo/pee there, it won't fall through onto the laptop. Hopefully there won't be any accidents...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wow that' SO cool, but you're totally gonna add more stuff :p final setup? pffft!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Title Thief Victim

hahah thats very nice! Im jelouse

Carissasaurus Rex

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah thats true mulder....you got me. I guess I meant my final "scheme" hahah...a desk hutch. I was actually thinking to buy some wooden dowels and splint them to the back wall of the hutch for some extra structural support...and then build upwards a floor or two...but that's a long ways away.

Oh and mymuffers, I got a set of these organizer cubes from Target...in the home improvement section. They're called "Organize-it's." It's so darn cheap...24 grids and 23 connectors(6 cube shelf) is only 15 dollars. It would easily work as a cage for fully grown rats. Just make your own unique cube creation, buy a tub w/ bedding for it to sit in...and then release one of the front panels to make a door mechanism and you're good to go.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Thats pretty neat!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Part of the Pack

Are they supposed to stay on the table? If so that would not work for my Sherlock since she will jump down from anywhere. Great setup!

My zoo:
The rats: London, Remmy, Butterfly, and Arabella
The guinea pigs: Victor, Augustus, and baby Milo
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeap, I guess I haven't ever encountered any rats like that just yet. They might slip off, but never jump off.

Tags
litter box, litter train, litter trained