my new rat may be pregnant please help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation my new rat may be pregnant please help

so i just brought my new adopted family member home the other day. her name is tilly she is an 11 month old rat. i'm worried she may be pregnant since she kinda has a pot belly and i suppose she could be seen as "pear shaped" i have a few questions i would like to ask.

1. i have a picture of her with her big ol' belly sticking out XD but i cant post the link yet(till i have 20 posts i guess) any other way i could put it up (zoomama is not very computer smart) i would like to know if she looks pregnant to you guys???

2. i read her nipples would be visible if she were pregnant. just how visible would they be? i wouldnt say they are sticking out but they are visible through her fur. MAYBE the fur around them is thinning out a bit but i dont have anything to compare to.

3. she is very interested in building her nest and covers up the hole in her little box so i cant see in there. but nesting is normal behavior for rats right?

4. she was very friendly before... today she has become very sleepy and is not interested in coming out of her cage as she was before. she is sleeping heavily and when she wakes up she doesnt come up to the cage door like she used to. could she be resting up for delivery? is this normal?

so please let me know what you think. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Part of the Pack

Is she shaped like a pear? That's the best way for me to describe a pregnant ratty. Nesting is not really usual behavior, I think she might be prego.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Part of the Pack

If she's extensively nesting and making a heap of bedding on one side of the cage, I would say she is preggo. Nesting to a very small degree is normal, but when preggo they make the most stupendous nests, lol.

I believe you can post links, and if you have your photo on photobucket you could just direct link to the pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
pregnant rat