Is my new rat normal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

My boyfriend wanted a rat so I got a female rat and brought her home after about an hour I thought she may be lonely like a mouse would so I went back to the pet store and bought one of her sisters home. I don't really know alot about rats but I know a ton about mice. The second rat I brought is super friendly curious and playful but the first one is exteremly shy even with getting a treat through the bars or from our hands. We have to chase her around the cage to play with her. She hides alot and plays only for a few minutes every so often with her sister.The second one is totally willing to get out. They seem healthy. And they are young from what we were told. Is the first one okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I thinki she's okay, she's probably just shy and getting used to your home, the smells and sounds. give her time

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hahah I will tell you, your curious and outgoing rat is more "abnormal" than your shy and timid rat. Rats are extremely sensitive and shy creatures that take a good deal of socializing if being exposed to humans for the very first time. If they're socialized...like you get them from a rescue, a good petstore, or breeder -- you probably won't have too many problems. A good deal of my rats came from a store where they were stored in bins and sold as snake food...so they definitely had no handling. But luckily, all of them came through with time. Getting a rat to take a treat even on the first day is a good accomplishment I'd say(that's what I use to gauge how comfortable they are -- if they'll take treats). I wouldn't chase her around the cage...just let her "be" for 2-3 days(aka hide constantly in fear), attempting to offer her treats every so often. She'll open up.

Last edited by Turkeyman; 04-08-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

one of my rats i have had for 3 months now and still doesnt come out much... shes just a very timid little girl... the others are all friendly and out going.... your's sounds less timid than mine though... mine wasnt willing to come out for a treat until a month ago... but is SLOWLY coming around... yours probably will too

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

ok thanks I guess I can stop freakin out now.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,don't worry about it.Also rats have different personalities too,so she may even be timid or shy her whole life.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Adolescent Pup

Congrats on getting your rats.

Yes just give sometime.

One thing I suggest is to not feed treats through the bars of the cage. That can teach your ratties to bite anything that comes through a bar.

A good way to entice a nervous rat out of a cage is by putting the cage on the table. Add some hidey boxes, towels etc on the table. Then open the cage. Put some thawed peas in a bowl--or other treat--Rats just love green peas thawed out. Then let your new friend come on out. When he is out, just let him explore the table. Put your arm on the table and let him get used to you. If he climbs up, great. Once you get your little one to trust you a bit, let him do some shirt diving. Rats love to dive down your shirt. The best way to do that is by wearing two shirts. That will save your back and chest from being scratched up. I, of course, don't follow my own advice 90% of the time and am scratched up everywhere Rats shirt dive to hide and feel safe. Plus it helps them get to know you. I also socialize my rats by putting them in a safe room or area---bed, bathroom, hallway---and just sit there with them and let them run all around and on you.

I've had 9 rats---two came to us socialized. Two came from Petsmart and were bitey and still are after a year. I think they are the exception rather than the rule. We got 5 6wk old boys--they are now 13wks. They weren't very social at first. We had them in an aquarium tank at first until their cage arrived from e'bay. It's big 30X18X55. So for us, in a tank, they were easy to catch and train. After 4-5 days, they were clamoring to come out and play. Now most of the time they come the door of the cage begging to come out. Well except for my Jinx. While he is fine to be out and stuff. He isn't as friendly as his brothers. You will find that, like people, rats have different personalities. Some are go, go, go. Some are more shy, while others would just love to sit on your shoulder. Girls tend to be more curious and definitely more active. Males are lap hounds--that's their reputation anways, my boys are young so they still are very active.

Glad you joined the group. If you have any questions, which I'm sure you will as things come up , feel free to ask.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Good advice Tracey!

I agree,it takes time and sometimes time doesn't change their behaviour.I rescued a little girly,Candy once and she was scared,hated handling and was a biter when I got her.Well I had her almost a year before she passed and she never changed much.She did start to like handling after sometime,but not too much of it and she still bit me sometimes afterwards.She was a cute little rat tho!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I'm so glad ya'll told me not to feed treats through the bars because I was doing that but I stopped in time. And I tested them several times to see if they would bite me and they didn't. Thanks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

I feed my rats thru the bars sometimes,if I am on my way out and wanna give them a quick treat I do.

The thing with that is,the rats will assume anything poking through the bars is food.They can nip.My rats never nip or bite me,but then again I don't stick my fingers through the bars!

* Lisa *

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i feed mine threw the bars quite a bit... they dont bite me if i stick my fingers in they lick them... probably not a good thing to start any way though

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

I've never given my rat treats through the bars. I always open the door at the top and she knows. As soon as she sees me coming she jumps up on her hammock and puts her nose to the door.
Kila is very friendly, has been since the 1st day I got her, she loves to finger wrestle/box with us. She will pretend to run awy but turns around so fast and jumps on your hand.. I guess that's her way of saying "I Win Again"

Tags
female rat, male rat, pet store, snake food