My rat has taken slightly ill. - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsweettart
I'm sorry but this could get ugly fast. YIKES.

A vasectomy is an office visit and costs less than $1000. A tubal ligation is usually done right after a woman has given birth using an epidural. When I asked my ob about it a few years back, I think she charged like $1000. So whatever the extra cost of the epi, maybe another grand. It's no where near $20,000. I know you were just throwing out a number.

The O.P. didn't say she wouldn't take her rat to the vet if need be. She was asking if there were any other options.
First of all, sweetie, "spaying" is not a tubal litigation. Spaying is the equivalent to a hysterectomy. My aunt had one a few years ago, and between the hospital stay, surgery, medications, etc, it would have been $20,000 without insurance. Luckily she had it. I know of no vet that "ties tubes" when spaying any animal. All remove the uterus and ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Okay lets forget about humans, how about a dog that you got at a shelter when they were waiving all the adoption costs. Free. Does his "price" make him less valuable and deserving than a dog you paid $800 for at the breeders? No. Shots, neutering, annual checkup is all part of it.
Oh lilspacz. people buy the 8 bizzillion dollar dogs all of the time and not give it medical attention.

People often want the fancy shamcy but don't want the upkeep.

Definitely you need to take out the purchase price of the pet. An animal is an animal and deserves to be treated well.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 AM

pardon me jennicat. As I read your post I was thinking of just the preventing of pg aspect. Yes I know that a spay is a hysterectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM

weather it happens again or not the animal should still see a vet. even if it just happens once it means theres SOMETHING wrong.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

1st off this is not the place to be debating the aspect of people verses animals.

I understand that its harder to take it to the vet because you feel stupid going and spending the little money you have if its not needed.

It sounds like you just got this rat? consittering it doesnt have a name yet? personally i dont think it is normal for green mucus to come out its nose/eye.

but if it cleared up with in a few hours and hasnt come back sence you moved it from the drafty area, personally i wouldnt take it to the vet. you could give it some pedelyite mine love the apple flavored personally i think its nasty but they seam to like it. give it like a eye dropper full every so often in the next 48 hours (thats how long it stays good it says on the box, if you get the personal one serving kinds you dont waste AS much, plus you have 3 for later)

i dont go to the doc if i have a runny nose.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Rodentologist

Kendalle, you, as a human, get viruses. That's why we don't go to the doctor for runny noses. You cannot use an antibiotic on a virus, you just have to wait for it to run it's course.

Small animals like rats and guinea pigs get bacterial infections that cause green mucous (and yes, green in the mucous does indicate an infection). Their systems are not set up to fight off illnesses. Hence, we give them antibiotics to take care of the bacteria.

You also have to look at average illness germination times in rats vs humans. Rats become very sickly, very quick. I'm sure that if humans commonly died from untreated bacterial infections in 3 days, more people would go to the doctor as soon as they started sniffing. However, we're a.) smarter (because we can eat and keep ourselves hydrated for health) and b.) hardier, with slower metabolisms.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

rats can keep themselves hydrated and fed if people didnt lock them in cages. you couldnt feed yourself if you were locked in jail either.

and rats can get viruses too which is why people use them to inject viruses into and try and find a cure because they are alot like humans. thats why most books tell you not to kiss and hug them when you are sick yourself.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Rodentologist

Small animals that are sick display weight loss as one of their primary symptoms. Not because they don't have food, but because they feel bad, and stop eating. I'm handfeeding my post-surgical guinea pig right now, and he's got a cage full of food.

Respiratory infections in small animals are primarily bacterial, because viruses are very species specific.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

she said nothing about it not eating or not being active.

She said it had mucus, it cleared up within a few hours, and she moved it out of a drafty area. which could have caused it, expecially if it was a new young rat.

[/CENTER]

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Rodentologist

I did not say that she did, hon. I was responding specifically to your comment "OMG, I don't go to the doctor when I have a runny nose" by explaining the biological difference in small animals and humans, including why they die so much more quickly when faced with respiratory issues, including the fact that loss of appetite is a common symptom..
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i didnt say OMG i dont go to the doctor when i have a runny nose. i was just saying i dont when i have a runny nose that it might be premature if that was her only symptom and it only lasted a few hours, the rat woke up and cleaned off. its been a few days now and if there is no other symptoms i think it might be un needed to go to the doc because of it.

[/CENTER]

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Boy did I open a can of worms.

I didn't mean to get on anyone's bad side. I have several animals and all of them are quite healthy. I ALWAYS look for home remedies before going to the vet because I have very little to no money for a vet. I can afford the meds, not the vet. It's just that simple. If I can call my vet and get meds to pick up, I will do that. I can pick up amoxicillin any day of the week. I give my animals their own shots, and treatments. We know how to administer our shots because a very kind vet once long ago showed my mother how to do it so that she didn't have to travel over 50 miles every day just to give a shot. Vets around my area now won't do things like that. They'll just look at you like, "you're incapable of that. You don't have the necessary training." So I look for other methods. I also understand that despite a lot of people's views, not all animals can be saved. I learned that raising chickens. In our first year due to bad information and a simple lack of knowing we had about a 50% survival rate. That is pitiful with chickens, but that was our learning experience. We did the best we could and I cried a lot of tears. But now I see things a bit clearer, and I'd rather be frugal with my money AND enjoy my pets.

Everyone's views are different. Unfortunately this world is divided by money. I very rarely have money to spend on anything but food, but I make sure my animals all have what they need.

Now, I thought that by coming to a forum dedicated to rats, that there would be people that knew of all sorts of ins and outs for rats that I wouldn't know how to look up on my own. I have had rats before, and they're relatively hardy animals. I wasn't really looking for a bunch of "You need to go to the vet" posts. I don't even like going to the doctor, because like someone else said, I can't afford the health care. I like my rat. She's nice and healthy, least for the most part from what I can tell. And I would like to keep her as long as possible. If anyone has any ideas about these simple antibiotics I can have on hand for PREVENTATIVE measures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

AnimalLadyE
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLadyE
She seems to be doing fine, but I'd like to avoid a vet visit if at all possible. I like my rat and all, but a $35 office fee is a little expensive for a $7 animal.
Then you shouldn't of gotten the rat.Rats,just like cats,dogs or even humans need health care sometimes.If you didn't wanna pay for vet visits,then you shouldn't of gotten the rat and thats that.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I know this is a touchy subject everyone, but let's try to keep it civil, please.

Thank you.

Rhonda

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 AM

animalladye--

As I said in an earlier post, I know vets are costly. I try to wait to take my rats. Sometimes you hear a few odd noises-like chirpy, rattly--and do a let's wait and see thing. Sometimes that's fine and other times it's off to the vet. I know you are just asking for options before going to the vet. There are a lot of people on this forum that have experience with rats. So they are just trying to advise you, some rather harshly, based on their experiences. And those experiences are telling them to take the rat to the vet.

I hope your girlie clears up without having to go to the vet.

Good luck

Last edited by redsweettart; 03-29-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
animal rescue, doing fine, guinea pig, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, stray cats, upper respiratory infection, vet care, vet visit, vet visits