My rat has taken slightly ill. - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Rodentologist

Unfortunately, vet care is part of the expense of owning an animal, much like mechanic and inspection fees are a part of owning a car. You can put in all the gas you like, but if you don't take it to the "doctor" when it's sick, it's not going to run.

And it's not easy to say "Ok, I can't afford this animal, becuase if he gets sick, I can't afford to take him to the vet", but that's part of the cost you've got to factor in. Vet care is not an optional expense for living creatures.

One of my closest friends who does animal rescue really summed it up in a great way for me one day...

"You have to have balance. You have to say to yourself, 'OK, I've got room for 60 animals. And I've got time for 30. And I've got vet money for 15.' So you have to go with the 15, because that's what you can really manage."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I heard my mother tell me something that she'd gotten from another gentleman, and it made me feel better about how I saw things. He said that the poorer a family gets, the more animals they get because at least they know they have food when they can't afford to go to the store. Now, I'm not going to say that I am going to eat my rat if I get hungry enough. Ha ha, no, I'm not saying that. But I maintain a certain level of detachment to the majority of my animals just because it's a "easy come easy go". Chickens are relatively hardy animals. But I've watched a chicken die and suffer when I tried to fix a problem with it. Perhaps that was cruel on my part. Maybe I should have taken it to the vet. But when it comes right down to it. There is a lot to be said about the "value" of an animal. Now, I may not likely post much after this simply because my views are against everything this sugarcoated world has been led to believe. I put down dogs that growl at me. I shoot stray cats. I have killed chickens that were useless to me, no matter how pretty they were. I don't have the time, energy, or mental stamina to satisfy every single PETA supporter out there when I have methods that get the job done. If a chicken dies by my hand because I didn't like the way it looked, I can easily go and get 50 more that are the same breed and look better. That's just the way it is. Dogs are a bit different in the respect that they have a learning capacity that chickens will never have. Chickens are food, Dogs are not. Rats are rodents. There are ways of solving nearly every issue without crying to a vet like they're the medical mommy. Personally, I think ppl give them too much power. Now, I haven't had great experiences with the vet. I took my cat in to get some bad teeth pulled and he charged me for a bunch of stuff that I didn't ask for. $250 for a $12 job. So, yes, I avoid the vet when at all possible. I had a llama that had gotten attacked by a dog and I didn't have a truck at the time to take it to the vet, so I called them up for help. Ya know what I got? "NO." I was told no. So, yes, I do handle things myself. I could go anywhere online and get 15 thousand home remedies for anything my body my have. Heck, I could go to a forum and get them. But for a animal, "You must go to the vet." Thanks, but no thanks. There are other ways, I just have to find them. And since the majority of you are pent on bashing me over one comment, I'll leave it at that. Mods, feel free to close the thread.

AnimalLadyE
Closed Thread

Tags
animal rescue, doing fine, guinea pig, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, stray cats, upper respiratory infection, vet care, vet visit, vet visits