My rat has taken slightly ill. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

My rat has taken slightly ill.

I was looking at my rat today and I noticed that one of her eyes was closed due to a coating of mucus that had dried and she had mucus coming out of her nose. What can I do to help fix this? Is there anything around the house I could give her that would help?

Thanks in advance,

AnimalLadyE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

vet trip. sounds like it could be RI. Which takes antibiotics and things.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

the mucus is reddish? If it is, its porphryin. Porphyrn is a sign that something could be wrong, stress from a situation (new home, cat sitting on the cage hungrily, a draft). Some porphryn when they wake up is normal but they should clean it off and it will be gone for the day.

Is your rat sneezing or fur puffed up, appetite is diminished or activity levels are less?

Could be a URI (upper respiratory infection) that would need antibiotics. Is the mucus still there now?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Checked on her.

I looked at her again after I had cleaned her off and it didn't seem to be coming back. In fact, I moved her to a location that had a bit more of a draft and she seemed to do a lot better. I went ahead and cleaned her cage and what not. It might have to do with where I have her. Not a lot of room so I fit her where I can. But if it's just a stagnant air issue then I could open up a window near her and that'd prolly clear it up. The mucus was a light green. I know that's not good, but her appetite is still good. I just can't figure out how to get her to use her wheel, lol.

AnimalLadyE
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

Green,huh? If it comes back,I would take her to the vet just for a check up.The vet will be able to determine if your rat has some issues.

As for using the wheel,some rats just don't like the wheel.Rats are very smart animals and some rather play with other things or free roam then use a wheel.You can leave it in her cage and she might take it up,but if not...don't stress it!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

none of my rats have a wheel. When I first got ratties, I heard that so many didn't care about them at all. So I thought why bother? They get plenty of running around the house time anyway.

boy just finished our rat-a-palooza with my fab five boys in the hallway a few minutes ago. Wow they had some pent up energy and aggravation with lots of fussing and tumbling about tonight I wonder if during nap time someone was hogging all of the blankies

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe only one of my 4 like the wheel and its the little psycho rat from **** that uses it. (shes nice, shes cute, shes the most hyper animal i have ever seen)

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Curiosity.

She seems to be doing fine, but I'd like to avoid a vet visit if at all possible. I like my rat and all, but a $35 office fee is a little expensive for a $7 animal. Kinda harsh, I'm sure, but that's just my thought. Anyways, if there is anything household or over the counter like amoxicillin that I could give her for any mild respiratory infections, I'd rather do that. I'm sure this thing is something simple and could be taken care of just as simply. She is a very pretty rat, and I'd hate to lose her over something that could be prevented. She's kind of a lavender color with a couple of darker spots on her and a long white patch on her belly. Sweet little thing. Any good names I might could call her with? I haven't been able to think of one that would suit her.

AnimalLadyE
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I don't use a wheel either.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Adolescent Pup

animallade-

I understand your feelings. I lost our heart rat Inky to heart and resp very suddenly.. We got to the vet and meds ($78). She died the next day

We got 5 new boys in Feb. One promptly came down with a URI. He took Baytril and cleared up. Then 10 days afterward his bro came down with it. I had all of that med for Inky, so started him on it. Luckily he is clearing up w/o another vet visit.

Sadly, if your rat has a URI, the vet would like put him on Baytril. Myco is a common ailment in rats, and can kill them if not treated. Lots of people want to go with an over the counter med, but they usually aren't effective.

Redsweettart

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalLadyE
She seems to be doing fine, but I'd like to avoid a vet visit if at all possible. I like my rat and all, but a $35 office fee is a little expensive for a $7 animal. Kinda harsh, I'm sure, but that's just my thought.
AnimalLady, I don't mean to be harsh, but that's not very fair to your animal to decide how much you're going to spend on them based on their value. It's a life. Does life have a value? I mean, people are free, we make more of them all the time, you know? Yet, I don't know of anyone that wouldn't take their baby to the doctor just because they didn't pay anything for it.

I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just very sensitive to this issue since I'm now nursing my guinea pig back from his second surgery. In 1-2 weeks, he's going to be fine. But if someone didn't think he was "worth" it, he would have died from an entirely preventable ailment.

Small animals are among the most expensive in vet care. If you don't want to pay for it, I'd suggest another pet.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
I don't know of anyone that wouldn't take their baby to the doctor just because they didn't pay anything for it.
I understand your feelings about not taking a beloved pet to the vet or the feeling that they aren't worth the care. Please don't compare a child to a pet. And yes we do pay lots of money for our children. They definitely aren't free. That isn't why we take them to the doctor either. Also note that there are many, many, people in the US who can't afford healthcare in this country. So many children go without healthcare all of the time.

Unfortunately vet visits/surgeries are getting just about as expensive as people doctors. It is not fair, but it is a fact. My vet charges $46 for just the visit. I think our pediatrician charges $60.

I hope your piggie gets all better soon. I am sure he one of your biggest joys.

Redsweettart

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsweettart
I understand your feelings about not taking a beloved pet to the vet or the feeling that they aren't worth the care. Please don't compare a child to a pet. And yes we do pay lots of money for our children. They definitely aren't free. That isn't why we take them to the doctor either. Also note that there are many, many, people in the US who can't afford healthcare in this country. So many children go without healthcare all of the time.

Unfortunately vet visits/surgeries are getting just about as expensive as people doctors. It is not fair, but it is a fact. My vet charges $46 for just the visit. I think our pediatrician charges $60.
We do not pay a "price" for a child at the child store, was my point. And yes, there are many people in the US who can't afford health care. You can also go to hospitals if you're desparate without payment. But I can guarantee you that if a parent did not seek health care and the child became seriously ill and/or died, the child would be taken away and/or the parents prosecuted.

It is unfortunate that people see vets that they. They operate as doctors, except that they can do the surgeries they're prescribing too. Spaying a cat? $300. Spaying a human? >$20,000. I feel bad for vets because they are making a pittiance compared to doctors, and yet people constantly complain about how expensive they are.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Okay lets forget about humans, how about a dog that you got at a shelter when they were waiving all the adoption costs. Free. Does his "price" make him less valuable and deserving than a dog you paid $800 for at the breeders? No. Shots, neutering, annual checkup is all part of it.

Soooo shouldn't people be researching each pet they are going to get, especially medical care? Pocket Pet does not equal disposable!!!!
So that statement of not getting a vet visit for a $7 animal was not a correct thing to say on a rat forum where a lot of us go above and beyond to help our little friends. :'(

Also it sounds like this lil pearl merle girl is on her own so no research was done even for basic info.

Green mucus sounds like a bacterial infection, and I think this rat should be rehomed to someone who will give her proper care.

I am offended.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 03-28-2007 at 06:47 AM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
We do not pay a "price" for a child at the child store, was my point. And yes, there are many people in the US who can't afford health care. You can also go to hospitals if you're desparate without payment. But I can guarantee you that if a parent did not seek health care and the child became seriously ill and/or died, the child would be taken away and/or the parents prosecuted.

It is unfortunate that people see vets that they. They operate as doctors, except that they can do the surgeries they're prescribing too. Spaying a cat? $300. Spaying a human? >$20,000. I feel bad for vets because they are making a pittiance compared to doctors, and yet people constantly complain about how expensive they are.
I'm sorry but this could get ugly fast. YIKES.

I agree people should take their pets to vets. However if the fees get too far out there, people won't. Yes, it's true that you are still paying for the vet's time, just as we pay of people doctor's time. Vets are also paid a bunch less than people doctors too. (They aren't hurting mind you as my neighbor who is a vet is living in a nearly $300K home) They know that when they get into the job. But they didn't go into for the money; they did it for the love of animals.

A vasectomy is an office visit and costs less than $1000. A tubal ligation is usually done right after a woman has given birth using an epidural. When I asked my ob about it a few years back, I think she charged like $1000. So whatever the extra cost of the epi, maybe another grand. It's no where near $20,000. I know you were just throwing out a number.

The deseperate people you mention go to the er when they are deathly ill and often don't recover. They put off going to the doc for what started as a simple infection because they can't afford an office visit. My sis doesn't have health insurance. She is now in the magic 40 crowd where you need to get mammograms yearly. Uh she can't cuz she can't afford them. So if she ever ends up with breast cancer (I hope not), it will likely not be discovered until it is much harder to cure. You may not like it, a lot of people may not like it, but people are valued more than animals. It's a fact. I love my ratlets. I value my children more. I value you more. So any parent found neglecting their child's medical needs should darn tooting be brought up on charges. There are laws regarding the treatment of animals too.

When my Oreo got a mammory tumor about 4mos ago, I took her to the vet. (we got her at 8mos old from a woman, who was a vet)Mammory tumors are not malignant, but they do keep growing and growing until eventually..... I discussed the options--the pros and cons of surgery-- with our rat vet (we go to a vet hospital with 17 vets--3 of whom treat exotics). I asked my vet what she would do if Oreo was hers. She said that considering her age and the risk of anesthesia, plus they reoccur, while they certainly could do the surgery, she would advise against it.

So again, my point is people shouldn't be compared to our pets. I see this time and again.

The O.P. didn't say she wouldn't take her rat to the vet if need be. She was asking if there were any other options.

Redsweettart

Closed Thread

Tags
animal rescue, doing fine, guinea pig, respiratory infection, respiratory infections, stray cats, upper respiratory infection, vet care, vet visit, vet visits