my rat just bit me - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

my rat just bit me

One of my rats bit me twice today but not my boyfriend. We've had her for a week and shes been really friendly prior to today. Could she possible be a suprise pregnancy as well or just it's in her genetics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i say just be patient, she's still getting used to everyone. you could have caught her when she's tired?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

no she wasn't tired she ran up to me twice and bit me then ran away. Once I was done replaceing the water and got the cage closed she started playing. She keeps trying to steal the other rats food. plus she was totally friendly during play time and everything until today. The second time I was getting my other rat for play time when she ran up and bit me then ran away.

Last edited by Mousey; 04-13-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Still Waiting

Hmm, wasit REALLY hard? If not then it sounds just like a nibble. Sometimes rats do not realize how hard they nibble. She might just be trying to play? Hmm, I am not sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i think it's trying to initiate playing with you. when it does that, gently rub it and rollit over and tickle it's belly, then it'll probably run around back and forth and play bite you LOTS! lol

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yep unless she's drawn blood i would guess she just wants to play with mommy!

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

The way you explained that,it sounds like she is playing.Rats will sometimes nip during play or when they get super excited,especially if they are younger rats.

There is a difference between biting and nipping and that surely sounds like nipping.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

shes torn some of my callousious off my finger. I don't think she's tame enough to play wrestle with considering she still runs away from me the majority of time. what do ya'll think
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:13 PM
RAT ADDICT

Some rats will pick at your cuts/scabs and scrapes.They will take band-aids off of you and everything.So ripping a scab off your hands does not mean that she is agrressive.

Many rats like or hate feet too and will chase your feet.I had a apir that HATED feet and would attack feet...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Will It Ever Change?

my timmy rat looooves my feet. i say just take this rat and put it in your sweater (while you're wearing it) and just let it explore you. when you hear bruxing you'll know the rest is play biting

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I never heard her brux either
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

HI,

Ya know it is sometimes hard to know what our ratties are thinking We do have two girls that bite---draw blood etc. They lunge and go for you. They are also always looking for toes to get. aargh. It doesn't really sound like your rat is doing that. Like Vanila Rat said---rats like to clean up our boo boos. Oh and bandaids man they love ripping those off. My boys will pick off hang nails and the rough patches of skin on me too. sometimes it isn't too comfy. My rats have never nipped and run off. However it is entirely possible she was playing with you. My rat boys kind of play that way with each other. They will pull each other's hair. Poor Moe often has scabs on him because, being a double rex, he often has no hair. Good thing we have antibiotic oinments. Poor little dude.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I am sorry to keeping being so paranoid and bugging you guys can't help it because when I purchased my mice one came up pregnant and now I may have three other possibly pregnant mice due to them being from the same petstore. But anyways I played with her and went to tickle her tummy and her tummy seems pretty hard esp. compared to her sisters tummy.

Last edited by Mousey; 04-15-2007 at 04:24 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

plus she's sleeping alot more
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If the mice are pregnant they usually blow up at the end. They'll really start to show in the third week and they're tummy will get really round. It'll really look like they swallowed some golf balls.
Make sure the other mice are females. If they are you can keep them together. Give her some nesting materials (like TP and paper towels) and give her a hidey house. If she starts making a nest like crazy then she probably is pregnant.

As for the rat, if she bites you think about why she did it. It sounds to me like it's just her nipping. Babies are really nippy and they do it a lot. Especially if you hand feed her treats. Every time she smells your hand or sees you she'll associate you with a treat. That's not a bad thing. When she nips you you can try saying NO in a louder voice. She'll get the hint that she's hurting you.
Make sure you don't feed her through the cage bars. She might definitely bite you then and draw blood. So try not to give her treats through the cage bars.

If she does draw blood, then think about why she did it. Rats usually aren't biters. There are some exceptions but about 90% of rats don't just bite for no reason. If you scare her or hurt her she can bite. I don't mean hurting on purpose. One time I accidently shut my rats tail in the cage door and he turned around and bit me. I was honestly more scared for him then for me because I hurt him. I went to work feeling bad, and I felt bad all day until I came home. I gave him tons of kisses and treats...lol..

Just give her some time, and don't worry if she's nipping a little harder then usual. She'll figure out the whole nipping thing. Females are very active so she probably just wants to play.

*Missy*

Tags
cage bars, nesting material