My rat is so sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My rat is so sick

This past weekend he's been sleeping more than usual and today he's just
terrible. He won't get up, he just lies there most of the time, he'll eat and drink
if I give it to him, but what can I do? Is there some sort of medicine I can get
without going to a vet? I'm so terrified he'll die and I love him so much. Please
e-mail me if you can help me.

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

We cannot recommend a medication, as none of us are licensed veterinarians. It is illegal for us to do so. Not to mention, we have absolutely no way of diagnosing his illness over the interenet. I'd highly recommend you take your rat to the vet before it's too late.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I hope you can get him to a vet asap! It could be something that can be treated.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:26 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I do hope your rat gets better soon, take care..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
We cannot recommend a medication, as none of us are licensed veterinarians. It is illegal for us to do so. Not to mention, we have absolutely no way of diagnosing his illness over the interenet. I'd highly recommend you take your rat to the vet before it's too late.
Well thank you for your help. I did get Cricket to the vet this afternoon and
he was diagnosed with pneumonia, I only hope I didn't wait too long to take
him in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I hope you can get him to a vet asap! It could be something that can be treated.
I really hope I didn't wait too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLEBUNNY
I do hope your rat gets better soon, take care..
Thank you very much, I hope he'll be better really soon.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

One other thing I wanted to ask about is that since Cricket got sick yesterday,
I've noticed his eyes seem to be more watery than usual. Does anyone know what
this might mean? It's not the red discharge, they just look watery.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm glad he went to the vet and is being treated! I hope he recovers soon.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl
I'm glad he went to the vet and is being treated! I hope he recovers soon.
Thank you, I hope so too!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuxlovesme
One other thing I wanted to ask about is that since Cricket got sick yesterday,
I've noticed his eyes seem to be more watery than usual. Does anyone know what
this might mean? It's not the red discharge, they just look watery.
You said you took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pnemonia...if that is the case and he has pnemonia, I would think that would have something to do with it. You can always call your vet and ask though (which is what I do when I'm worried about something)
What did they prescribe for treatment?
I hope he gets better for you soon

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
You said you took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with pnemonia...if that is the case and he has pnemonia, I would think that would have something to do with it. You can always call your vet and ask though (which is what I do when I'm worried about something)
What did they prescribe for treatment?
I hope he gets better for you soon
I forgot to ask about Cricket's watery eyes while I was there, and he was feeling so down, he actually slept on the table and the vet mentioned something about his eyes being squinty.

I'm to give him .5 cc of Baytril (sp?) twice a day, does that sound about right for a dosage and what he's got?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Maybe it's just me, but baytril doesn't sound like the kind of meds you would use for pneumonia. I would suggest you read a bit through this.
It mentions in there what she was using for her little boy with pneumonia, and there's also a link within the thread you may want to check out.

Hope your rattie gets better.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw
Maybe it's just me, but baytril doesn't sound like the kind of meds you would use for pneumonia. I would suggest you read a bit through this.
It mentions in there what she was using for her little boy with pneumonia, and there's also a link within the thread you may want to check out.

I don't know ... the vet actually told me that Baytril was one of the best medicines for rats and I assumed he meant pneumonia too but he's the professional I thought and I don't really know much about it. I'll read through the link you gave me and see what I find, thanks for taking the time to post it for me!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSouthPaw

Actually, that didn't say what he was on for the antibiotic, just the steriod for the head tilt.

I'm not sure about the Baytril or dose but just continue to keep and eye on him and call the vet about the watery eyes

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:46 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Okay, I just called my vet...they said that's exactly what they prescribe. .5 CC of Baytril twice a day and watery eyes is common with pnemonia...you may want to get your little rattie some bene-bac or acidophilis to help keep his gut flora in line and get his appetite raised

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchilla_Girl
Okay, I just called my vet...they said that's exactly what they prescribe. .5 CC of Baytril twice a day and watery eyes is common with pnemonia...you may want to get your little rattie some bene-bac or acidophilis to help keep his gut flora in line and get his appetite raised
Ugh seems like pneumonia is so common with ratties. I'm worried about Sundae. I don't think she has it but she was real sneezy when I got her so I'm paranoid. She still sneezes once in awhile so I moniter really closely.

dreuxlovesme, did your rattie get sick suddenly or did you notice he wasn't feeling well before that?