My Rats don't Care. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

My Rats don't Care.

My rats seem to not like their toys..

let's see i have two bird rope ladders,two plastic balls,a wood chew kabob thing, and two cardboard tubes that they are supposed to chew and destroy...but would rather chew the blanket i have on the side of the cage...i've tried the crumpled up paper thing but they run away when they hear that noise...bought them a wheel in hopes they would go crazy for it..but just crawl all over..and then sort of forgot about it...i play with them everyday for 30 minutes to an hour. I'M probably their favorite toy! hahahaha.

but i dont know what i should buy or make them!

i dont know what's safe or what they will like.

any suggestions?!

Last edited by AsiaVicky; 06-25-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Try cardboard boxes and tubes/tunnels.Oh and tissues boxes.My rats LOVE those.

Male rats are more lazy then females and currently out of the 5 I have (which are all males) - only 3 of them really play with anything.

I give my rats balls,bird toys,ladders,carboard boxes...etc.You can find safe toys around your house.Many rats actually could care less about wheels,so don't get frustrated if they never use it.I do not use wheels for my rats,as they rather run about.

Try playing games with them like hand wrestling,tummy tickling,bum tickles or pea fishing.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 09:38 PM
laugh often

don't feel bad mine dont play with anything I give them either. One out of five will use the wheel.You can get scraps of fabric and put treats in some of them by knotting the treats in the fabric and put all the fabric into a bin thing for them to dig through. The treats are used to coax them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

rats love hammocks....that is one thing they must have...
[
Also if you let them out a everyday for awhile, thats usually enough.
[
You could try a dig box...put some shredded paper or cloth in a box then hide treats in there....rats love to dig...
[

[
Jack was actually outside digging grubs up out of the dirt. That shows you how good their smell is.

*Missy*
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have some girls who don't care much for toys either, You can try:

1. Get some paper towels and lay them out several layers thick. When your rats are older/wiser/tougher you can use a cardboard toilet paper roll with the ends folded in to close it up.
2. Place a pile of peas, corn, yogurt drops, sunflower seeds, cheerios, or whatever treats your rats love on the paper.
3. Bundle it up and tie it closed with some string/tape.
4. String it up high in the cage so that they can just reach it standing on their back feet and it can swing freely.
5. Add rats

They will go wild when they smell the treats and get lots of exercise and have fun with the challenge. A hard to get into one is great to give them just as you leave for work in the morning or go to bed at night... it gives them something productive to do in the cage while you're not there to play with them.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
rats love hammocks....that is one thing they must have...
[
Also if you let them out a everyday for awhile, thats usually enough.
[
You could try a dig box...put some shredded paper or cloth in a box then hide treats in there....rats love to dig...
[

[
Jack was actually outside digging grubs up out of the dirt. That shows you how good their smell is.
i have a hammock..and they dont care for it much.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions everyone =]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You can make a lot of toys to imitate the toys in pet stores, so you don't spend a fortune buying them all.

Also, here's an old stand-by of mine:

1. Get strips of felt fabric, about 1 inch wide, and 12-18 inches long.
2. Tie three strips at one end.
3. Braid them together, inserting small treats in as you go. Make the braiding pretty tight so they have to work to get the treats out.
4. Tie the end and let them have at it!

It's not too difficult for them to get the treats in this one, but mine will spend a while after all the treats are gone chewing it up looking for more. It's simple to make, and felt remnants are cheap at fabric stores.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 07:50 AM

2 of my 4 girls use the ladders in the cage. One uses the rope. I've had the plastic balls with bells in the cage since day one...they all still react when they nudge it like...OMG! WHAT WAS THAT!
I suppose I should leave them out next cage cleaning.

Tags
bird toys, cage cleaning, cardboard box, cardboard boxes, male rat, male rats, pet store, pet stores, sunflower seeds