are my ratties getting fat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

are my ratties getting fat?

when i first got my rats you could see there ribs, had thin fur, were not very active, and they were really light and frail. it seemed like they would crush if you held them even slightly to hard. i have been feeding them a home made mix that balances out with there dietary requirements. they get healthy treats aswell and fresh fruit to compensate for anything that is missing as of nutrients. because they were so thin when i got them i just fed and fed them and they would always eat it all.

they are now very active, my mate and i have rat proofed our apartment. they gallop across the floor in a sort of jumping way. it makes them look like kangaroo mice. they now when picked up feel suprisingly heavy for there size. they aren't blubbery or fat looking but the difference is like picking up a piece of balsa wood (how they used to feel) to picking up an equall sized piece of oak, just very dense. weird analogy but the best one i could think of. we make them run around alot to keep them fit alittle, like we will drag a cheerio across the carpet tyed to a piece of string so they chase it a bit then get to eat it. and they wrestle with our hands and each other constantly.

we keep there food bowl full at all times and they are always accepting and eating treats out of the cage. there treats are ussually bits of fresh fruit or veg, and bran flakes or other whole grain not so sugary cerial. we also give them cooked rice when we have it already made. im worried because they were starved they just wont stop eating when they are full because they always think they dont know when there next meal will be. i dont want them to get over weight and have heart problems. how do i tell what a weight for a healthy rat is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Rats can be anywhere from 500-700 grams and still be healthy, but when you rub its side gently you want to be able to feel the ribs a little, but not see them. As long as your rats are alert, playful, and have a shiny coat, then they are fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok thats how they are now

Tags
fat, rat