My Worst Nightmare!!:( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Exclamation My Worst Nightmare!!:(

My once friendly little boy novo bit me
He was in his cage just after grooming and i went to lift him out and he grabbed my hand and its badly bit im so upset i had to walk away im so scared of him now.
What can i do he will bite again hes never been aggressive before theres noway im getting another rat hes freaked me right out

In the picture you cant see it proper but its bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA60131.jpg (17.4 KB, 19 views)

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."

Last edited by clairebee1; 08-29-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, he might have just been in a bad mood. My boy Hercules bit me once, he just latched on and wouldn't let go. It seemed totally unprovoked just like yours. But he NEVER did it again in the whole time that I had him. I know you are very freaked out right now, but remember that he is your sweet little baby and you love him. He didn't mean to hurt you. Give him another chance.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

What if he does it again im so shaking and feel really sick
I cant believe my baby done this!
MY hands pretty deep and very swollen now, why did ur rattie do it? and was he ever aggressive again? im so terrifed of him now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hercules was just sitting around during playtime and I reached out to him and he just grabbed on to my finger. He wouldn't let go and I actually lifted him up while he was latched on with his teeth. I had to flick him to get him to let go. The bite was really deep and I was so freaked out. Just like you, totally upset, crying etc. But like I said, he never did it again. He was not aggressive ever before or after that event. It was just a one-time deal. I have no idea why it happened.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh hun, poor you
The bite looks painful.
I don't think he will do it again, he might have not expected you to grab him or something, or maybe he is just missing his brother and a bit jumpy without him right now.
I'm sure he'll be fine with you, I hope your okay luv ya xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM

Claire, you poor thing. Were you feeling upset or anything when you went to pick him up? Our pets are so sensitive and can really pick up on our feelings. I know how hard it is to go back to them after they have bitten us. I have been there! OUCH! My rats try to bite me everytime I put my hands in the cage. LOL But I have finally figured out that it is because they think I am food. hee hee. I finally just let them bite me. It hurt, but she figured out I wasn't food. Now, she is biting less hard. I hope you are putting something on that to disinfect it. Let us know how you are doing. Hugs to you. Hang in there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks !!

He was grooming himself in his cage and he stopped and i put my hand in around his tummy to lift him and he striked at me and bit my hand and let go straight away, hes got very grumpy from toto left and hes not really interested in me anymore i think it may just be because hes gettting older?
But i am very scared of him now i approuched him again and he sniffed my hand and he came towards me to groom me and i jumped and he tried to lick my wound where he bit me but nomore trying to lift him im to scared!!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You can try getting him to climb onto you by luring him with a treat until you feel comfortable grabbing him again. It's important to still spend time with him so that he feels close to you. He will probably feel better once he's living with his new little brothers.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

he isn't getting grumpy from age, i don't think he might be seriously depressed and lonely and afraid being alone for the first time

i got bit once from a rat for waking up when she was sleepwalking hehe. bad dream i guess, she looked so sad when she found out what she bit though.

kermit bit me once before too, and sometimes he lunges at me, but i found out that his cage size was the problem for him lunging and he only bit me as last option, don't show fear and work to gain your confidence and his back

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There are a couple of possibilities here, but the most important thing is to be tough and brave, no biting situation ever got better because an owner acted afraid of an animal after a bite. Remember, you're the human, you're in charge.

You really need to look him over well. Sometimes if an animal who is usually tame bites it is because they are sick or in pain so check for symptoms of disease or signs of injury. If this is the reason he bit you the only cure is a trip to the vet.

If it's not disease or injury it could be because of the loss of Toto. First of all he really could be experiencing depression or anxiety due to being alone. Second he is male and sometimes males who are kept in a small enclosure or who are kept by themselves will become territorial. If this is the case you will notice that he bites when you reach in to grab him but then calms down completely once he's out of his cage. If it is either of these situations your reaction will determine the future. Remember he has no right to be territorial, it's all your territory! So don't be afraid, don't stop handling him or jerk back when he approaches you, if you need to wear gloves for a few days to feel comfortable that's fine, but be firm. If he bites again squeal, say "no" loudly and firmly, grasp him firmly and turn him over on his back. If this is an attitude or dominance issue then you will only make it worse by jerking away and putting him down when he bites you. This shows him that biting is an effective method for getting his way.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Luvboyrats, Thanks i forgot to check this post!!
Hes not ill i checked him over because when he is out he will let me do anything to him its just in his cage, Hes became so unsure of me all of a sudden i think depression is setting in because when hes out if i make a noise he runs.
So maybe these new ones will help.